Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoke from the edge  (Read 2827 times)

Jimwaggy

• Happy Cooker
Smoke from the edge
« on: June 19, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
Hi, me again,
I have a problem I think, I have smoke coming from around the lid of my 57cm kettle, I am continuing the cook but there's obviously a leak around the edge,
Am I able to fix this, as I have only had this kettle for a year or so, and as far as I know the lid has never been dropped, so I am wondering what I can do, and how much will it affect the cook, sorry to be a pain but I'd really like to get this good !! Many thanks for reading this everyone
jim (London England)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoke from the edge
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 02:54:08 AM »
Almost all kettles will do this when they are new. As you use it more it should seal up. Other members will have suggestions in the mean time.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 06:17:59 AM »
If it's just a little smoke, and you are able to maintain your target temp, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are seeing a lot of smoke, and you are having trouble maintaining temps, your lid could be slightly out of round.

Jimwaggy

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:39:01 AM »
Thank you for your replies I held temp pretty well so I'll just keep an eye on it for the time being

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
The first concern is maintaining temps, so as long as the lid fits onto and off the bowl nicely you should be ok.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 10:19:13 AM »
I've used binder clips on my lid in the past when it was leaking. After much more use, the lid sealed much better.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
Give your lid a hug
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

vinced

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 12:45:23 AM »
I tried the binder clip trick this weekend and it seemed to help minimize the smoke leaking from around the edge.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
Might be different for your circumstances, but here is my $0.02...

My kettle (which has years of seasoning) will do this if I put the lid on too early and the coals aren't fully lit.  They need to get past the super smokey lighting stage and the the smoke will settle down and start flowing properly.
Additionally, if your top vent is choked down it doesn't allow the smoke to escape fast enough and therefore it gets pushed out the sides.  Try closing your bottom vents a bit and leaving the top fully opened.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 06:23:53 PM »
   Go get some nomex gasket. Clean the lip of the bowl, peel and stick, wait 24 hrs, get to cooking. At the end of the year when the kettle is cleaned replace with fresh material.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »
If you can maintain temperature, don't worry. I get smoke leaking out of the vent, around the rim... Don't worry about it. I get smoke leaking out by the rim, I get smoke coming out of the vent. The food still tastes good.