Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Walk The Plank Ribeye  (Read 2748 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Walk The Plank Ribeye
« on: June 12, 2016, 09:26:22 AM »
I cedar-plank salmon on the grill quite frequently.  So when my local Home Depot had planks on sale (4 boards for $2.09), I kinda stocked up:

I have used planks to cook other types of food as well - like steak.  My goal with this cook was to not screw up this wonderful piece of boneless ribeye.  Salt and Pepper only:

Bisbee gets the call.  Royal Oak lump in the Smoke and Sear.  I plan to use the Griswold pan to sear the steak and to cook the mushrooms.  Pan is preheating:

Cooking directly over the heat.  The plank protects the steak from burning while imparting a nice cedar flavor.  Basically, I am cooking it indirectly to get the internal temp within 10 degrees of target:

Finishing off the steak in the cast iron.  The hot pan ensures even browning with a nice crust:

Cooking the mushrooms in the "fond" of the steak while it rests on indirect side:

I made it a goal this summer to prefect the "old fashioned" cocktail.  The first use of the name "Old Fashioned" for a Bourbon whiskey cocktail was said to have been at the Pendennis Club, a gentlemen's club founded in 1881 in Louisville, Kentucky.  I have been trying different bitters, sugar cubes and whiskeys.  My breakthrough is the stuff in the plastic bottle - liquid gold.  I am getting very close to achieving my goal......

All plated up.  Cedar planked ribeye with salt and pepper, sauteed mushrooms, grilled sweet corn, and a lump of buratta with olive oil, Maldon sea salt, and pepper, washed down with old fashioned experiment #42.

Whew!  Did not screw up the ribeye.....

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Walk The Plank Ribeye
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »
Outstanding "walk"-through on the plank ! … Looks delicious.

I took a bartending course 20 years ago … Sadly, never put it into practice.
I was introduced to many mixed drinks, and I was always intrigued by the old-fashioned.  I assume that the plastic bottle is simple syrup.  ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:15:41 AM »
I love old fashions. Nice cook up man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
I need to change my shirt...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:27:20 AM »
I am drooling.
That all looks incredible.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 06:27:20 AM »

@MacEggs
I took a bartending course 20 years ago … Sadly, never put it into practice.
I was introduced to many mixed drinks, and I was always intrigued by the old-fashioned.  I assume that the plastic bottle is simple syrup.  ???

You got it - simple syrup.  Eliminates the need for muddling, and prevents grainy pieces of sugar from ruining the drink.  After trying a few different approaches, I settled on double strength (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) made with Turbinado sugar.  It has that nice brown color and a hint of caramel.   Goes great on my morning oatmeal as well!

Winz
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 04:01:56 PM by Winz »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
Wow ! ! !  That came out perfect ! ! !

Did you soak the plank?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

BariB523

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 03:33:14 PM »
That looks awesome. Don't you want to donate some of those planks? Lol. I'll settle for some steak if you'd prefer lol

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 04:00:22 PM »
Did you soak the plank?

BD

Yes - soaking the plank is a must if you are going to put it over direct heat.   Even then, I only get one use out of them.  They are perfect for fish - no more sticking to the grill grate.

Winz

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »

Yes - soaking the plank is a must if you are going to put it over direct heat.   Even then, I only get one use out of them.  They are perfect for fish - no more sticking to the grill grate.

Winz

Thanks @Winz.  I have always soaked them, but have started reading that many do not.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 05:58:51 PM »
Well done sir! I certainly approve of your choice of bourbon also, I usually have mine on the rocks.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
Killer Winz! That meal looks amazing!

I personally prefer rye over bourbon for the old fashioned. Rye is a little drier (less sweet) and a nice peppery flavor. Since the old fashioned has simple syrup or muddled sugar I prefer to start with a liquor that doesn't have as much sweetness as bourbon. If you haven't given it a shot I would recommend it.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 07:51:19 AM »
I purchased the same planks to try out the maple [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

shock_me

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »
Top marks for everything Winz especially the Makers 46! The Old Fashioned has been my main drink for a few years now and I prefer Makers Mark as the base. I tried the 46 and love it, but there's something about original MM that I prefer. That being said, recently I've tried the new Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye, and it makes a pretty damn fine Old Fashioned!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
Did you soak the plank?

BD

Yes - soaking the plank is a must if you are going to put it over direct heat.

@Winz , not necessarily.  Here is a recent thread of mine where I tried the non-soaked plank over direct heat for the first time … Worked out good.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/i-did-not-soak-the-plank-this-time/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.