Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend Pizza Cook  (Read 3126 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Memorial Day Weekend Pizza Cook
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »
I had a 3-day weekend and was really looking forward to not having to be anywhere, or do anything too demanding. I was really hoping to submit an entry for the burger throw down, but didn’t have the time to do it the way I intended. We still enjoyed some mighty fine burgers Saturday evening though!

I had pizza on the menu for Sunday, and was able to get a few pics of this cook. It had been several weeks since my last pizza cook and was looking forward to making some pies! My M-I-L and her husband (Barb & Phil) had not had the kettle fired pizza yet, and finally accepted my invite to join us.

We started off with a big pile of hot wings. I cooked these on my Gen 2 Performer. Standard stuff…Franks Hot Sauce, with a touch of butter. I could eat these all night long.

Just a “plated” pic lol. I had way more than these four…

I dumped the burning coals, from the hot wing cook, into my SS Performer and added a small split of Red Oak. From this point on, I only used small splits of Red Oak to fire the Kettle Pizza. The splits were about 12” long and not very thick, maybe 2”-3” max. I made two cheese pizzas, two pepperoni pizzas and one that had baby spinach, fresh mozzarella and crumbled feta cheese.

Prepped pepperoni ready for the fire

Pepperoni in the oven.

This one is done.

Spinach, fresh mozzarella and crumbled feta cheese.

Spinach done.

Barb & Phil really enjoyed the wings and pizza! It’s pretty cool to see how amazed people are, when they see you make a pizza like this for the first time. It makes the effort that much more worthwhile! Thanks for looking!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Memorial Day Weekend Pizza Cook
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 04:26:48 AM »
Very nice pies!  8)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 08:21:04 AM »
oh yeah.....you've been dialed in for a while now and this just backs that up.  Nicely done!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 01:57:46 PM »
Very nice! Way to keep the "good s-i-l impression!! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
Way to keep the "good s-i-l impression!!

Haha, not sure I want that!

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 03:26:05 AM »
Good looking pies and wings? Were the wings vortexed? What's your trick for that deep fried look?

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 04:10:28 AM »
Were the wings vortexed?

No, I used the basic charcoal baskets, arranged in the center, with a full chimney of briquettes.

What's your trick for that deep fried look?

I cook the wings until the skin looks a little dry (crispy). These wings were on the smaller side, so it only took about 30 minutes. In a large bowl, I then toss them really good in my Franks/butter mix and put them back on the grill, indirect and covered, for a few more minutes. Then, back into the same bowl for another coating of sauce. There is small window of time, where all the fat has been rendered out (crisy) and them being over done and dry (crunchy). The only real tricky part is determining when the fat has rendered to your liking.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
I like the pie size, did you make that dough and do you know what the weight was before you rolled it out.  I just started doing our pies on my Performer and I like a thinner crust that I am getting. 

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
...did you make that dough and do you know what the weight was before you rolled it out...

Yes, I made the dough, but have never weighed it.

The recipe I use has 1-cup of water and about 3-cups of bread flour. I cut the dough ball into three equal size pieces for this cook. (For this cook, I actually doubled the recipe and had enough for 6 pizzas.)