Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $10 SSP  (Read 3200 times)

dgodwin

• WKC Brave
$10 SSP
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:59:06 AM »
Yesterday after traveling to one of our favorite local butchers and filing up on tri tip, hanging tenderloin, pork steaks and a few other goodies, I was telling my wife that I was happy with my current collection of Webers, and really don't think I'll be buying any more grills...  Then I get home a saw a post for a $10 dark green SSP. I checked with the wife who I'm sure rolled her eyes but she said sure.  I contacted the seller who confirmed it was still available and I was on my way.  About 10 minutes into the trip I got a text from the seller saying that oops...I was sold.   I figured no big deal as I really didn't need it.   I came back home and went back to yard work.  A couple hours later, I get a text for the seller saying that the grill was back and a different one was gone (he started the day with 3 webers for sale and two brinkman smokers for sale). I told him I was on my way.  When I arrived he was apologetic and offered a second lid as the original green handle was MIA. I didn't ask too many questions and loaded up the grill and was on my way home.

Here's what $10 got me.

I think it has good bones but is missing the ash catcher bowl, the 5lb tank, rollers, and possibly some more items related to the gas assist.  I think I'm going to try and get the missing pieces and make her fully functional again but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm also curious what the original color of the second lid I was given.  I've been reading past threads on SSP restorations, but any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Sent from my wife's iPad using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: $10 SSP
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
Not a bad $10. Second lid used to be black. Worst case, you got way more than $10 in spare parts.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »
I think you did pretty well. It will make a good cooker should you decide to fix it up a bit.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 12:36:52 PM »
Could do a full restore, or just fix it up a bit and have a good cooker.

I like it.
1995 EO Smokey Joe, Ol' Smokey. EE Mastertouch 1999 Redhead, Big Red. AT 2013 OTG.(No name yet) 2016 Walmart Special, Wally.

THKSNOW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 12:15:05 PM »
next time post right side up... you're making me DIZZY! LOL

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
Is this an Australian model? Great score!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
Is this an Australian model?

Yes. Yes it is.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

thebigdawg77

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:54:49 AM »
Is this an Australian model? Great score!
That might explain why it is upside down on my screen.

Great find.

Cheers, TheBigDawg

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 06:55:48 PM »
Well that score just up-ended everything...( i really gotta stop with the cheese)...Looks nice though!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 03:48:18 AM »
Great find for 10 bucks, congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgodwin

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »
I  finally found some time to use the grill today. I gave it a quick cleaning but didn't pay too much attention to the insides as i knew I'd be getting it dirty again. I'm still trying to track down some bar keepers friend for the stainless. I replaced the missing handle with the handle from a donor lid that came with the grill and picked up some hardware to reattach the lid bale. I borrowed the ash can from my other performer and started cooking.

I used a nearly full chimney of charcoal spread into two baskets and tossed a small chunk of hickory to get things going.

I made Doritos meatloaf which my son in particular likes.

Grilled indirect for about 45 minutes and then direct for about 5.

Pulled and rested.

And rested. I should've rotated halfway through cooking or given a few more minutes.

I still need to get a ash bucket for this guy, an end cap for one of the ends, and some bale rollers. I haven't decided if I'll look into getting a 5lb tank or not. Still happy with the $10 spent. Sorry the last photos are upside down. I blame the iPad.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk