Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First pizza  (Read 2778 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
First pizza
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
I started this over at http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/having-a-go-at-pizza/ mostly looking for further tips. Now that I've got pictures, it seems like the final report should go here.

Here's the setup with firebrick on my 26.

Got one put together and ready go go on the fire.

OK, lets go! C'mon! Go! <sigh>

It needed more time to really get going. At the hottest, I could measure the bricks at close to 600°F and now we're cooking!

I had quite a list of ingredients including fresh mozzarella, provolone, parmesan with tomatoes, mushrooms, red peppers, anise bulb, onion and kalamata olives and some fresh parsley and basil. I also drizzled some garlic fortified EVOO in it as well. I know it sounds like a confusing list of ingredients, but the flavors worked together and tasted awesome!

The crust was OK. It did not fluff around the edges but instead became crispy. It was a little less crispy under the topping.

For my first effort I'm pretty happy (and pretty full!) And we have pizza left over for breakfast. :D

kettles, smokers...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First pizza
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 07:12:01 PM »
Sure looks good.....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Kilted_Griller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
Excellent first pizza, Mr Hank!! Careful, pizza on the grills become addicting!
"The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook"
   ~Julia Child

wolgast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
Never tryed Za in a Ci pan. But i sure will. My last pizza went in the trash,tryed to cut corners with a 18h rest dough...After 6 h i tryed to push it out witch was a PITA. Then it stuck on my peel so all the toppings was lost trying to get it on the grill. Got so mad i tossed everything in the bin(The day after the rise was superb...Still in the Bin though) :P

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:50:26 AM »
Nice job Hank!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
Never tryed Za in a Ci pan. But i sure will.

Ditto on that!  I've looked at the Lodge CI griddle, but wasn't sure what I'd do with it.  Now I know and I have to get two as wife & I have different pizza tastes.  :)  I've done home made crust & pizza on the gasser before, but THIS might be my new thing...
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30:34 AM »
I did a couple more yesterday for a light lunch. U used the same dough (had some left over) and this time instead of rolling it, I spread it out by hand. I couldn't get it to quite fill the griddle but it did wind up with some puff around the crust and seemed a little lighter. Perhaps the extra two days in the refrigerator might have helped too.

This time I did them on a 22.5 kettle (still using two chimneys of charcoal) and that worked too. I also preheated the firebrick to 200°F on the oven to assist with warmup.

I'm going to order a pizza peel and see how they come out directly on the firebrick.
kettles, smokers...