Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Original Weber Bar B Q Kettle Specifications  (Read 5976 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Original Weber Bar B Q Kettle Specifications
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
I meant to get this out earlier, but obviously that didn't happen. When a few of us met at the Weber Grill in Schaumberg for lunch, one of the tools I brought with me (be prepared) was a tape measure. Once we were sufficiently boozed up, we dragged the repro-original out the front door for a few pics and measurements. It's pretty simple really, so a drawing is not really needed. Really.

First off, the stand is NOT bolted to the kettle, gravity is the only thing holding things together.
Secondly, the bowl appears to be (and measures up to be) a standard 22.5 kettle, minus the leg sockets. As you can see from the pics, it's a three-wheeler.

The stand itself is made from 1" wide steel stock, probably 3/16" thick. (If I had been more prepared I would have brought a micrometer.)
The diameter of the horizontal ring is 18" (I think - pretty sure - I had a couple Hopslams remember)
The height to the top of the top horizontal stand ring is 24"
The height to the top of the lower horzontal stand ring is 12"
The feet at the end of each leg stick out by 1 1/2"

You're on your own with the lid. (Should have brought a profiling tool) It's shallower than today's lids. Same vent though. The one we played with is a DA = 2001.

When I go back I may get serious about measuring this thing up right. If we're lucky, maybe I can pry the details out of Weber, or get a look at a drawing. Either way, I might take a shot at a repro of my own this Summer. I know a metal guy. Don't hold your breath.

Marty

HankB

• WKC Performer
Re: Original Weber Bar B Q Kettle Specifications
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
I wonder how accurate the repro is. Faced with that situation, I might have been tempted to grab an existing 22 kettle bowl and fitted stand and lid to it. I also might have used available vent wheels rather than whatever was done on the original (if it was even different.)

Does anyone know if the vent wheels go back that far?
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
I wonder how accurate the repro is. Faced with that situation, I might have been tempted to grab an existing 22 kettle bowl and fitted stand and lid to it. I also might have used available vent wheels rather than whatever was done on the original (if it was even different.)

Does anyone know if the vent wheels go back that far? 

The Great Pumpkin will now answer this question.........

Betcha a nickel they were just like this in prehistoric times.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »
Thanks for posting that Marty!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
Heres a blown up pic of an original. Sorry if its too big, but I wanted to get a some closeups. Vents look like prototype versions of what they went with on the regular design until the late '70s when the tabs were widened like on the repro. Looks like the stand has wingnuts and flathead machine screws.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:37:20 PM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:38:43 PM »
Heres a smaller view.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
I'm sure you Chicago guys have probably already thought of this but I wonder if any original Stephens buoys could be found in antique stores around there? It would maybe give you ahead start on recreating one.  I know the last trip we took to Florida that there were old buoys and stuff all over the stores down there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »
I'm sure you Chicago guys have probably already thought of this but I wonder if any original Stephens buoys could be found in antique stores around there? It would maybe give you ahead start on recreating one.  I know the last trip we took to Florida that there were old buoys and stuff all over the stores down there.

I called around to several places and collectors last year looking for old buoys. A few mentioned that some of the lakehouses and junk dealers on the north and south shores would probably have some of the old ones, but I never made any good connections or got any solid leads.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 04:48:32 AM »
Can everyone else but me see Craig's pictures?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 05:47:56 AM »
Thanks for posting both of those Craig. I find the bottom vent are very interesting. It looks like some modifications were done to it. It was sure a rough looking grill compared to the newer ones. It reminds me of local celebrity Jack O'neill's early wetsuit.  Interestingly enough Jack also started in 1952. 

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 05:50:11 AM »

I wouldn't mind to find one of those old garden lights either.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 06:01:58 AM »

Yeah, all I'm getting is a red "X"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »

Yeah, all I'm getting is a red "X"
That's weird.  ???  I checked both my computer and my iphone and the pics show up. I uploaded them from imageshack last night. I'll have to do some digging.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 06:54:43 AM »
Think it's only some of us....

......don't want to speak for others, but..........the "technically challenged" perhaps?

my comp isn't the screamin', high falutin' new-fangled one  like some folks have..... :-[

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 07:25:16 AM »
Yea but its like your Webers right? You've got 10 or 15 old ones running at the same time don't you? :)