Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genny restore I have been working on  (Read 7007 times)

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
Genny restore I have been working on
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
I got this older Genesis from a local Weber Head for FREE and decided it needed some sprucing up. It began life as a natural gas grill but the gentleman before me converted to propane, fin by me as I have no gas at home. It was faded, dirty and the wood was toast so I figured let's make it new again. Not sure on the model maybe you guys could help with that.

Before

What I have done so far. I tore it all down cleaned up and painted the chassis. Then painted everything else that was supposed to be black. I also added a tank hanger because there was none. I assume because it was NG. Now I have most of it back together and have about an afternoon worth if work to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Genny restore I have been working on
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »
That looks good Dave.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:26:37 AM »
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
The lack of little office wheels indicates it's not a Genesis, unless they're missing. Then again, that cook box looks deep enough for both vertical and horizontal Flavorizers. So does it hold 5 or 13 Flavorizers?

Can you read the model or serial # on the white sticker on the end of the frame to the right of the controls?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
It has 13 bars. It looks to have never had wheels on the front.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
OK. Well if you are able to read that sticker, Weber CS can verify the model, and year, and register it for you. Good source for parts.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
The lack of little office wheels indicates it's not a Genesis, unless they're missing. Then again, that cook box looks deep enough for both vertical and horizontal Flavorizers. So does it hold 5 or 13 Flavorizers?

Can you read the model or serial # on the white sticker on the end of the frame to the right of the controls?

It's a Genesis 1.  They didn't have casters on the left.   It appears to be missing the side basket on the right hand side.  Dates to the  mid-late 80's through early 90's.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:15:54 PM by demosthenes9 »

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
Thank you @demosthenes9 I have that basket I think in the box of parts and was wondering where it went!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 03:51:57 PM »
Sweet, Bigdave!
That is the only Genesis besides mine that I have seen with a totally welded frame. I think that you will find that it is a very early model.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

DCgas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 05:29:56 AM »
I have this exact model. I haven't seen one like it anywhere. Can I see picture of how this side basket fits?

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »
It's looking great BigDave, glad to see it's getting the makeover it deserves!
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:22 PM »
Thank you @demosthenes9 I have that basket I think in the box of parts and was wondering where it went!

Ah, sweet.  Happy to have helped !!

I have this exact model. I haven't seen one like it anywhere. Can I see picture of how this side basket fits?

DC, I've been scouring the interwebs but have yet to find a pic of a Genesis 1 with the basket on the side.

That said, look at the first pic Dave posted.  On the right hand side you can see where the frame sticks out just a bit past the control panel, both in front and in back.  A little wire basket goes there.   

Here's a parts schematic of the grill.   http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?Model=411001&Sequence=51

It looks like the screws that hold the control panel to the frame might hold the basket on as well  ??

DCgas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 05:30:14 AM »

Ah, sweet.  Happy to have helped !!

Here's a parts schematic of the grill.   http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?Model=411001&Sequence=51

It looks like the screws that hold the control panel to the frame might hold the basket on as well  ??

Thanks for the schematic. I have a basket that looks like part 51, but I see no intuitive way for it to fit.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »

Thanks for the schematic. I have a basket that looks like part 51, but I see no intuitive way for it to fit.

You're welcome.    If you post a pic of the basket/tray and a pic of the side of the control panel, maybe we can figure it out.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 09:58:28 AM »
Managed to find some pics of one

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:08:50 AM by demosthenes9 »