Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about WSM lid hinge...  (Read 3116 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Question about WSM lid hinge...
« on: April 25, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
Has anyone bought the WSM lid hinge like the one in the picture below? If so, how well do they work? Are there any drawbacks associated with it? Problems with installation or alignment? How well does the lid stay supported in the "up" position? I read somewhere that to bring the lid back down requires 2 hands. Is this true?

This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Question about WSM lid hinge...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »
One hand.

Scroll down to the video here: http://unknownbbq.com/shop/

When it's almost over, at about 35 seconds left, you can see what happens. When the lid is opened it "clicks" into place (hinge lowers into a notch). To close the lid you lift up a little and it releases the hold. At least that's what looks like is happening.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
I installed the hinge on my 18.5 WSM. I love it. Having to take the lid off to do anything inside during cooking was always he worst part of the WSM. It takes one hand to operate. I don't have a single issue with it....
Hotty Toddy!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:53:26 PM »
I've got the hinge on both of my 22s.  They work great. 

Alignment: Keep the hinge over one of the legs, otherwise it might tip over.

There is a "detent" that holds the lid in the open position.  Yes, it takes two hands to close itbecause you have to lift the lid a little to get it off the "detent."

None of this may be applicable for the 18".

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:27:11 PM »
I've got the hinge on both of my 22s.  They work great. 

Alignment: Keep the hinge over one of the legs, otherwise it might tip over.

There is a "detent" that holds the lid in the open position.  Yes, it takes two hands to close itbecause you have to lift the lid a little to get it off the "detent."

None of this may be applicable for the 18".

BD

The unknown BBQ hinge is the same for the 18 and 22 WSM.
I installed my hinge on my 18. When it is proped open it takes one hand to lift the hinge and close it...
I have never operated a hinge on a 22. Do you think the larger lid requires two hands?
Do you have to put two hands on the same handle to lift?
Hotty Toddy!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »
@Tommy B, one hand to lift it, two hands to close it.  In fact, I've even considered cutting the handle off the top and attaching it to the side, about 90º from the front handle.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna