Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hella long day  (Read 1577 times)

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
Hella long day
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
Needed to relax for a bit before I had to get back on the laptop. Thick cut bone in prom chops under the lid. This is the best way...

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
Re: Hella long day
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
Stupid phone. *pork chops

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
Success!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:48:04 PM »
There's a problem with your first picture. Some red thing is on top of the bottle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
Those are some good looking chops!

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
Pretty funny addicted to smoke. It was open and left on to keep the bugs out.

It was just me and the two boys tonight. I thought one chop would be lunch tomorrow. Nope 15 year old thought they were too good for leftovers and ate two. Crazy teen will eat me out of house and home :-)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
... Crazy teen will eat me out of house and home :-)

My 13 yr old eats normally at home. Not too much. But at a restaurant he'll order 3 or 4 adult entrees if we don't stop him. And he's skinny!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »
Success!

Those look awesome.   Pork chops are the one thing I've struggled with since I switched to charcoal.  Do you go with high indirect the whole time?

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:36:07 AM »
I did indirect with the Slow n Sear - full chimney - fully burning - no water - one chunk of apple wood.  Put a probe in the biggest chop, placed chops on the indirect side and closed the lid until the internal temp. hit 135. Grill temp was between 335 and 350 the whole time. Then seared them over the hot side for a minute or two on each side. 

Everything I cook using a temp probe comes out much better now.  I used to overcook everything (even on the gasser).  I was always afraid of under cooked - especially pork.

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
I did indirect with the Slow n Sear - full chimney - fully burning - no water - one chunk of apple wood.  Put a probe in the biggest chop, placed chops on the indirect side and closed the lid until the internal temp. hit 135. Grill temp was between 335 and 350 the whole time. Then seared them over the hot side for a minute or two on each side. 

Everything I cook using a temp probe comes out much better now.  I used to overcook everything (even on the gasser).  I was always afraid of under cooked - especially pork.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm going to try this method next time.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've cooked pork chops since I got the slo n sear. 

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Pretty funny addicted to smoke. It was open and left on to keep the bugs out.

It was just me and the two boys tonight. I thought one chop would be lunch tomorrow. Nope 15 year old thought they were too good for leftovers and ate two. Crazy teen will eat me out of house and home :-)

Sounds like you need to find your 15 year old a job that pays in meat!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »
Or start sending them (teens) to the buffet.
We could punish a Stevie B's & CiCi's Pizza or china buffets back when I was doing:
track/cc/polevaulting,wrestling,cheering,gymnastics,sleeping,rotc,drama,mascot,school,etc,etc
(active brains can be <20% caloric use too)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE