Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron pizza.....fail might be too strong but....  (Read 2926 times)

jrc1

• Smokey Joe
Cast iron pizza.....fail might be too strong but....
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »
So I took inspiration from @austin87 post from the other day. Used publix premade  dough and all was pretty good up to the cook.

My assistant and the fired up grill

Thought about waiting to put the small pie on after the big pie baked for when but decided to put them on at the same time and pull the small pie and it cool while the other finished .....it was a good plan.....

But the fire got away from me. In hind sight I used way too much charcoal and add some hickory to the coals when I put the pies on so that probably spiked the temp...at about 8 minutes it started to smell really good but....it was a full on melt down and the little pie took the brunt of it.....and I burned my hand!

Well it tasted good and I can say I learned something.......

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

green platinum of unknown vintage

jrc1

• Smokey Joe
Re: Cast iron pizza.....fail might be too strong but....
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:40 PM »
Correction @pbegummibear made the original cast iron pizza post earlier this week..

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:30:51 PM by jrc1 »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 05:00:43 PM »
Poor little pie! Hey, the other one looked darn good and anytime you can get the kids into with ya, Winner, winner!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
Kudos for giving it a try! The pizzas look tasty and at least the larger one was a success. Is all your charcoal on one side and did you place the small pan right above it? If so, and your fire is too hot, it will char the hell out of a mini pan pizza. Next time put it away from the fire.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jrc1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »
Kudos for giving it a try! The pizzas look tasty and at least the larger one was a success. Is all your charcoal on one side and did you place the small pan right above it? If so, and your fire is too hot, it will char the hell out of a mini pan pizza. Next time put it away from the fire.
I had the coals in a u shape around 2/3ds or so of the grill and the pan in the open space. The little pan was sitting on the handle of the big pan so it was closer to the heat and a little higher.  Too much coal. Oh well live and learn. The little pie was mostly salvaged. Will try again soon and see. Thanks

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »
@jrc1 You could try my method with the charcoal around the perimeter of the kettle, and elevate your deep dish using the charcoal baskets on the cooking grate. My dome temp to start is 550. About halfway through the cook, rotate the dd 180 degrees for even cooking. Works perfect for me every time.

You can see my setup here http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/i-was-craving-a-deep-dish-tonight/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 11:37:46 AM by Nate »