Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal grate mods  (Read 4051 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Charcoal grate mods
« on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:39 AM »
Ran across this idea from a couple of different places, so I don't take credit for it.

Got a second charcoal grate, rotated 90 degrees to the other one, wired them into place.

Wired the charcoal ring to the grate.

Added the U bolts as handles.

Took about 15 minutes to put it together.

Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Charcoal grate mods
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:41:47 PM »
That's pretty slick
Still need a 22” yellow

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:48:56 PM »
I like it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:31 AM »
I've been doubling the charcoal grates for years, but those U-bolts look super handy. I might have to add those!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:42:49 PM »
It's a must for lump, but using charcoal baskets helps too, from losing the little pieces. Then again, you can't put much lump into a charcoal basket necessarily due to the odd sizes.

I'm a believer in the U-bolts for a WSM's lower cook grate, because you can lift the grate and not the food to get it out. Not sure I see the benefit to adding them to any charcoal grate, especially if you have a charcoal ring already tied to the grate(s).

Speaking of tying grates or grate + charcoal ring together, today I did it with small SS cotter pins. I didn't even know you could buy SS cotter pins ... this was at Home Depot.

I was thinking "utility wire" or whatever it is most guys wire together two grates but it was either a big roll of galvanized (and I don't have any cattle fences that need mending?) or 1 packet for less than $1 for 3 SS cotter pins. Bend an end, wrap, cut off with tin snips and use the other part again. 3 cotter pins in the packet will go a long way that way!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »
I have the new Cajun Bandit high air flow coal ring. It's bigger then the original weber ring and has 1/2 inch tabs that the charcoal grate sits on. If I pull out the ring the grate comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »

Not sure I see the benefit to adding them to any charcoal grate, especially if you have a charcoal ring already tied to the grate(s).

I added them so I can shake it lightly to knock off extra ash if I am reusing charcoal for a different cook.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM