Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza testing WHOOOOOOOOOPS  (Read 4763 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Pizza testing WHOOOOOOOOOPS
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:38:47 AM »
So I've been cranking out pizzas every few days lately, or at least I was trying to.
I really want to put this Kettle Pizza to through the ringer and have a good understanding of it (and master it) before writing a review.

Anyhoo, I haven't made my own dough yet. The first few pies were trader joes. Then I bought some dough from a local pizza place. It sucked, so I tried the dough from Sprouts.
When I grabbed it, it felt frozen, but still pliable ... so i just assumed their fridge was just set too cold or something.
Nope. They were frozen. And I put them in my fridge.
Six of them.
I bought them on Monday, expecting to make pizza Tuesday night and again on wednesday (spring break)
It got rainy, I got busy, forgot allll about the doughs in the fridge.
Until today.
Looking for a snack, I realized that the crisper drawer in the fridge was jammed shut, impossible to open.
All six of the doughs, originally frozen, had thawed. And apparently these doughs rise once you thaw them.
Who knew?
They all rose, burst out of their bags, and FILLED the crisper drawer in my fridge. It took me 2 hours to get it all cleaned up.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pizza testing WHOOOOOOOOOPS
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:37 AM »
Make your own damn dough. It's dead simple.

But that is a great story.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:39:11 AM »
Pics or it didn't happen
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:51:05 AM »
Make your own damn dough. It's dead simple.

I knowsssss
My challenge is time and planning.
We're kind of a 'fly by the seat or your pants' family.
We buy groceries for 3 or 4 days at a time, but only plan out 3 or so meals of it - and its never specific (down to the day)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:19:16 PM »
I like to make up a batch of pizza dough and put it in the fridge to rise on Sunday nights. I would suggest a batch smaller than a crisper drawer. As it sits in the fridge it will ferment and gain more flavor. Pull out what you need as the week goes along. If you don't use it, no big deal, throw it out. Or just throw some on the grill and call it naan.

My sister invited us for a pizza dinner, and asked me to bring the KP and gear. She volunteered to make the dough. She made it the day before, portioned it after the first rise, then wrapped the individual portions in plastic wrap. Not a bowl covered with wrap, just dough balls wrapped in plastic wrap. A LOT of plastic wrap. After more rising overnight we were digging apart the dough and the plastic. She had it wrapped so tightly that the plastic stretched into plastic strings garroted into the dough.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:18:48 AM by Jon »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
@Troy, this is the recipe I decided to use because it's SO simple, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html   make ahead, freeze if you need to, refrigerate up to 3 days or toss in the trash if you dont get to it in time... My next go 'round I will try adding "flavors" to the dough.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
@Troy, this is the recipe I decided to use because it's SO simple, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html   make ahead, freeze if you need to, refrigerate up to 3 days or toss in the trash if you dont get to it in time... My next go 'round I will try adding "flavors" to the dough.

I also make this dough...make two personal pizzas, and usually freeze the other half of it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 10:20:18 PM »

I also make this dough...make two personal pizzas, and usually freeze the other half of it.

Me three!!!! 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 10:52:06 PM »
Alright guys, i'm going to give this a try.
I need to buy bread flour apparently.

@Jason - what does YOUR recipe call for? Let me know so i can do all my shopping at once :P

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:13:22 AM »
@Troy I pulled this from a previous post I replied to. It's pretty basic and similar to other recipes out there.

This is the recipe I have been using for 35 years and works very well in the Kettle Pizza. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and about 1-hour to rise sufficiently. We prefer thin and crispy pizza and this recipe delivers that, especially using the Kettle Pizza.

1-cup warm water (100*-110*)
1-packet yeast (I use the "original" Fleischmann's packets, not the "rapid rise")
1/2-tsp sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp veg or olive oil
2.5-3-cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, I add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and let it dissolve. Takes about 5 minutes. Then add the salt and oil. Mix that around to dissolve the salt. Add 2-cups of the flour and get an even consistency. Start adding the last cup of flour while kneading the dough. I stop adding flour, once the dough is just barely dry enough to pull away from my fingers without sticking. In my experience with this particular dough, if I add too much flour, it gets tough and not as crispy. I cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, that will net 12"-14" very thin pizzas. Put the dough balls into lightly oiled bowls, then place into the oven to rise (a bowl of hot water, in the oven, seems to help the dough rise quicker). I also cover the dough with a clean dish towel, while it rises.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 06:59:31 AM »
@Troy I pulled this from a previous post I replied to. It's pretty basic and similar to other recipes out there.

This is the recipe I have been using for 35 years and works very well in the Kettle Pizza. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare and about 1-hour to rise sufficiently. We prefer thin and crispy pizza and this recipe delivers that, especially using the Kettle Pizza.

1-cup warm water (100*-110*)
1-packet yeast (I use the "original" Fleischmann's packets, not the "rapid rise")
1/2-tsp sugar
1-tsp salt
1-tbsp veg or olive oil
2.5-3-cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl, I add the yeast and sugar to the warm water and let it dissolve. Takes about 5 minutes. Then add the salt and oil. Mix that around to dissolve the salt. Add 2-cups of the flour and get an even consistency. Start adding the last cup of flour while kneading the dough. I stop adding flour, once the dough is just barely dry enough to pull away from my fingers without sticking. In my experience with this particular dough, if I add too much flour, it gets tough and not as crispy. I cut the dough into 4 equal pieces, that will net 12"-14" very thin pizzas. Put the dough balls into lightly oiled bowls, then place into the oven to rise (a bowl of hot water, in the oven, seems to help the dough rise quicker). I also cover the dough with a clean dish towel, while it rises.
Perfect.  I saved it this time!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk