Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: More pizza fun  (Read 3724 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
More pizza fun
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:05:41 AM »

Baking steel instead of a stone

Cheese!

Cheeseburger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: More pizza fun
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:11:19 AM »
So does it work better than the stone? Nice looking pies.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:27:19 AM »
Better?  I don't know, but it works great.  I have a stone too and get about the same results.  This was with one heaping chimney full dumped in two baskets, vicious V style.  I didn't mess with wood.  The temp for 4 pizzas was 550 or so and they only took about 6-7 minutes.  I'm pretty stoked on the kettlepizza, I just wish it was easier to store.

I've worked in a few pizza places with standard non-conveyor ovens and know how to wield a peel.  That being said, I was using parchment paper to get them in.  I just like the simplicity of stretching it out not having to mess around with corn meal, scraping the cooking service, absolutely no worries with sticking when spinning or pulling them.  The bottoms brown and freckle exactly the same as without.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:31:09 AM by blksabbath »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »
Looks good to me!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »
Oh man, now I'm craving some pizza!  Looks great!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 04:42:41 PM »
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a slice today!! Looks good man

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:01:32 PM »
Have not done Pizza in a bit...NOW I want to do it !
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 06:17:18 AM »
Have not done Pizza in a bit...NOW I want to do it !

Same with me.  I've been busy the last few weekends and am hoping to get at last one day this weekend for grilling all day.  I'm beginning to think some pizzas are in order!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
@blksabbath - A cooking grate can sit on the upper screws of the KP attachment. Have you tried putting in a grate there and putting the baking steel on it and the stone in the normal position? It may just radiate heat down on the top of the pizza. Been meaning to go get me a chunk of steel myself for just that experiment.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
I haven't tried the steel on top, but yeah that would super easy to do and probably brown up the cheese/toppings a bit more.  It would basically be the same as the one kettle pizza sells.  I'll give it shot.

Here's the dough recipe I used:
2   cups bread flour (11 ounces), plus extra for dusting work surface
1   teaspoon instant yeast
1   teaspoon table salt
1   tablespoon olive oil , plus additional oil for brushing dough and greasing hands
1   cup water (8 ounces), warm (about 110 degrees)

Very very simple to make and you can easily modify to make it more complex.  Add the yeast to the warm water, let it get foamy.  Add the dry stuff to mixer bowl with the dough hook.  Start running it and add the oil then yeast/water.  Let it go for 5 minute or so, quick knead, then put in an oiled boil, cover with saran wrap and let it rise for a few hours.  Split the ball in half and make two 12" pies.