Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need advice on cook  (Read 3886 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Need advice on cook
« on: April 04, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »
A friend is having a graduation party for finishing law school. I am coordinating with his wife to provide BBQ.

Details:

- Meat needs to finish by 12pm since we are eating at 2pm (rest time and travel)

- Anticipate approx. 50 people

- Cookers will be any combo of 18.5" WSM, 26 Kettle", 22" Kettle

- I am cooking chicken on-site (I convinced said friend to obtain Kettle 8))

Questions:

- If I wanted to do brisket (and burnt ends), what should my approach be?
Overnight? Hot and fast? Wrapping details?

- Do you think the majority of folks like ribs or pulled pork?
  • If doing pulled pork I would start early evening of previous day.
  • If doing ribs, I would start early morning the same day.

Any insight or additional info is appreciated..

dmbrill

• Smokey Joe
Re: Need advice on cook
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 05:59:53 PM »
My personal opinion is it would be tough to do ribs for that many people.  I think pulled pork and brisket would be best bets for feeding that number of people with the cookers you have.  Perhaps 4 brisket flats in the WSM and 3-4 pork shoulders on the 26"?  This way, everything would be an overnight cook and hopefully you'll be able to get a few hours of shut eye.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 06:45:06 PM »
If it was me, I would go with pulled pork sandwiches as it would take the pressure off and they would be great. You can give yourself plenty of time and when you're done just wrap them in aluminum foil a towel, put them in the cooler and they will be ready when you are.

These are always a big hit with pulled pork at my house and parties.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/50945/dutchs-wicked-baked-beans

Sounds like fun. Good luck.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:44:13 PM »
I agree with pulled pork. It's cheap and forgiving. Between the WSM and the 26", you could do plenty. Most people will think you slaved over it... When in fact, you lit a fuse and went to bed.
Still need a 22” yellow

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:46:08 PM »
^^^^^^   It's BBQ food for the masses  ...  pulled pork sandwiches.  Easy on the cook and always a hit.                          SJ
 | | | | | |
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »
Pulled pork all the way.  It's always a crowd pleaser.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
Pulled pork gets my vote as well.  I would never make Brisket for a crown that large unless I did it so that it was totally done 8 hours prior to needing to eat it.  Brisket can occasionally take way longer than expected.

For the pulled pork you can pull it then leave it unsauced, but have multiple sauce options available so people can sauce their own sandwhiches!  You can also pull it last minute so everyone sees the final product before pulling.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »
Pulled pork gets my vote as well.  I would never make Brisket for a crown that large unless I did it so that it was totally done 8 hours prior to needing to eat it.  Brisket can occasionally take way longer than expected.

For the pulled pork you can pull it then leave it unsauced, but have multiple sauce options available so people can sauce their own sandwhiches!  You can also pull it last minute so everyone sees the final product before pulling.

A lot of people that don't know BBQ, think bark is burnt.
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »

A lot of people that don't know BBQ, think bark is burnt.

That's a very good point.  Never thought of that. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:01 PM »
I have cooked a lot of different things, for a lot of different tastes. Pulled Pork is by far the most preferred and requested BBQ I make for large gatherings.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 05:36:38 AM »
I like having a variety of dishes, so I'd go with PP and brisket if the budget allows.  You could go with what Dmbrill mentioned, brisket on the WSM and 3 butts on the 26'er, or you could do the PP the day before and then the  brisket.  Give yourself plenty of time to finish.  Luckily, both PP and brisket can be held for quite some time, so that's all good.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
I agree, pulled pork.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
Thanks for all the insight guys, I've decided I will do pulled pork. I am considering do faux burnt ends from chuck roast.