Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: And so it begins. First CL Performer Purchase  (Read 7317 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
And so it begins. First CL Performer Purchase
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:12:05 AM »

The nice guy I got it from added in two canisters of gas,  a chimney,  Charcoal baskets and a cover.  Frame is great.  A little rust where the handles connect.  Otherwise grates and everything else is in very good shape.  He said the ignitor for the gas assist wasn't working but may just need a battery.  Anyone have a link to how to get at it to replace it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 11:34:23 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: And so it begins. First CA Performer Purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »
Congrats. Looks like a good deal to me. I have that exact grill (black DE performer) and it's my go to cooker. You won't be disappointed.

Not sure what to tell you on the igniter except that there is no battery. I'd clean up the connections as a first try, but it might need a new ignition button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
Congrats! Saw that on CL.  For the ignitor, disconnect it and sand everything down. All contacts, inside the tube, everything. Take a bent coast hanger and scrape out the inside off the burner tube in case there's spider webs. I'd almost guarantee it's not the ignitor button.

Don_

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
Congratulations! I saw that one too....as I find myself looking more, and more often lately.
Have fun!

Jon

• WKC Ranger

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: And so it begins. First CL Performer Purchase
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 05:07:43 PM »
Easiest access is to simply remove the ThermoSet Table.   All is then "clear".                             SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
That's a sweet score. Performers aren't too common there and you got if for a great price.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »
Got Lobster?

Fill her up!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:32 AM »
Nice "catch"!

It's got a piezo igniter button, as all older Webers do. So yeah, no batteries. Pull the "C" clip at the burner tube end of the hose to remove the hose from that end. Inspect the brass fitting. Clean off crud and poke a tiny wire through the oriface.

I also like to take a vacuum to the the burner tube to suck out ash that inevitably accumulates in it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 06:26:57 AM »
Nice! My 2nd gen. Performer is the workhorse of my kettle family.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
Nice score!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »
Great find, can't wait to see it all cleaned up!
Yeah, like @jkolantern said, if you take the igniter out of the tube and clean all the contacts points, it should spark up again.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:51:09 AM »
So I was looking at youtube videos for Piezo Ignitor repairs after great suggestions from @Neil_VT00 , @jkolantern @SmokenJoe and @addicted-to-smoke and @WNC  I stumbled across this lady from Alaska's video in which she suggested that it could be a loose connection and here's a screenshot from her video in which you can see the white wire is pushed pretty far up on the connection-

I took this photo below when I picked up the grill of the ignition assembly and from the picture it seems like maybe the white wire is loose.  It looks like it might be barely hanging on there.-

I'm at the dock right now so I'm really itching to get home to see it could be as simple as pushing that white wire on better!

I'll report back.

Here is the video I'm referencing-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-3wXcP7nlM
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 03:25:01 AM »
Also, pick up a stick lighter on the way home if you don't already have one. Weber says not to do it, but you can light the flame with one if you're careful and don't leave the gas on too long beforehand. Just like diagnosing a car ... if nothing else it'll tell you if lack spark or fuel.

And there's another way to test for fuel flow, potentially. You'll hear it when you turn on the gas, if you're hearing's decent and it's quiet outside.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
Update:
When I went out to get the serial number to register the Performer I pushed the white wire on the clip more securely. The gas assist started right up!  Yesssssss!