Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Dale Fleetwood Restoration Complete (Pic Heavy)  (Read 2807 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Wood Dale Fleetwood Restoration Complete (Pic Heavy)
« on: March 11, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
First off, a big thanks to @harris92 for sending me some 26 inch fleetwood legs to complete this project.  It made a huge difference.  I love the cooperation of members here on the site.  She's sitting level, and ready for action this weekend! 

So, I wanted to do this restore right, and I cleaned the inside of the lid, as well as the bowl, and the &*%#ing ash pan.  (A project I may never do again).  Per @1buckie instructions, I cleaned the exterior with apple cider vinegar, rinsing it down thoroughly.  I also used the vinegar on the ash pan (as a last step) and the triangle.  I cannot believe how well it takes off light rust along with some 0000 steel wool. 

I used a razor scraper followed up with steel wool and soapy water for the interior of the bowl and kettle. 

As for the ash catcher...I followed the directions for ash pan cleanup here on the site.  Good Lord.  It takes patience.  I am committed to putting aluminum foil in the ash pan whenever I cook on it so I never have to do that job again.

Finally, I decided to use PAM to bring back much of its original black exterior.  I know some people would prefer the aged patina, but I finally decided to go through with it.  The splatter spots on one side of the kettle were too much for my anal retentive side, and I wanted it looking crisp.  I am curious how long it will last, but my back patio faces north and is nearly always shaded, so I don't think the sun will cause it to fade too quickly. 

So, here are the pics.  If you want to see the before pics, you can see what she looked like when I got her here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mlh-wood-dale-fleetwood/

Lid interior

This was about a week and a half ago...I thought I had it all ready, but Ereplacement parts sent the wrong legs...Don't get me started.

I still cannot get over how much bigger the 26 is than the 22s!  I can't wait to have some fun with it. 

And finally, my current lineup.  I have to be honest, barring something incredible coming my way (yellow) I think I"m done buying for a while.  I did a tally of how much I've spent this year on kettle purchases.  Minus stuff I've sold, it's been less than $400.  The stories, adventures, drives, people I've met, and work have been totally worth the cost of one new performer. 

All in all, love the Fleetwood, and I hope she's got another 54 years of life in her!

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

SixZeroFour

Re: Wood Dale Fleetwood Restoration Complete (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:27:19 PM »
Fantastic job on a really sweet grill! Thanks for sharing!

... And don't give up on the ash pans ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
Awesome job, and amazing score!
A 26er is on my list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »
@firedude5015 Thanks, but I think your Ranch Kettle was the score of the year so far and would meet all your space requirements :) 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »
@firedude5015 Thanks, but I think your Ranch Kettle was the score of the year so far and would meet all your space requirements :)
Oh the ranch was an awesome score, but DAM that thing ia HUGE!...lol...it's a once or twice a year grill...haha..26er more versatile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »
Wow man, that's like night and day vs. where you started. Looks great, especially on the ash pan. I always start a restore with the legs, ash pan, and triangle. I save the bowl and lid for last, cus I get the most joy out of that part.

P.S. You have a couple of grill I'm totally envious of (especially that '78 red you got rid of) now that wood dale is one the top of the list!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:18:05 PM »
Looks fantastic. You did a great job.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
You did a fantastic job on the cleanup of the ash catcher/ash pan.  Congrats.  She now really does look like a regal eagle.                                    SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 01:33:48 AM »
Congratulations!   What a beautiful patio. 
I can only imagine how many times you've had to explain about your passion to people that just don't get it.  Two enthusiastic thumbs up!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 02:40:15 AM »
Great job! I really like how that mlh looks on those old 26rs
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 03:32:23 AM »
Great kettle AND line up.  Congrats Jason!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 03:49:11 AM »
Very nice! You took the time and it was well worth it.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:01 AM »
That Fleetwood turned out beautifully! I may have to try that Apple Cider vinegar on my ash pans. Nice lineup too!

Sent from an Aqua Blue Western Electric Model 500.