Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2 chucks on the WSM  (Read 1526 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
2 chucks on the WSM
« on: February 27, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »
After seeing Harleysmoker cook up a chuck, I wanted give one a shot. Picked up a 2 pack at Costco this morning, both weighed in just over 3 lbs each. Put some yellow mustard on them and did one with a standard salt, pepper, and granulated garlic while the other one got trader joes coffee and garlic rub.

The WSM settled in at 255, it was about 35 and windy today so I was happy with that. Just going to use a lot of fuel. Had 4 chunks of pecan in there.

These guys really cooked slow. The stall killed me. Took 8 hours to get up to 190, even after increasing the heat to 275. I wrapped them and let them rest for 2 hours.
Salt and pepper.

Coffee and garlic.

The salt and pepper was perfect. Just what I was expecting. The coffee and garlic was just ok. Was really lacking flavor and a little dry. Both will be devoured in the next couple of days, but next time it will be just salt, pepper and garlic. I will also start much earlier in the day and finish early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
2 chucks on the WSM
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »
For chuckies, foil isn't just a crutch or timesaver;it's the key to tenderness and moisture retention. I've got a buddy who usually foils nothing, with the exceptions of chucks and beef ribs. He also told me recently that his best one yet he had custom cut by the butcher and was 5-6" thick. He probably smoked it at around 275* and said they foiled it fairly early. He said it was as good as his better briskets.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:10:31 PM by kettlecook »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: 2 chucks on the WSM
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 01:49:41 AM »
Definitely going to foil early next time to power through the stall and help keep them a little more moist. Maybe even let them rest for 3 hours.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:12:31 AM »

Definitely going to foil early next time to power through the stall and help keep them a little more moist. Maybe even let them rest for 3 hours.

Rest for three hours? They'll get cold. No, I know you mean holding hot but trust me, that's not as nearly as significant as the cook itself. Remember, BBQ restaurants hold meat hot for hours because they have to for the customers, not because it's necessary for a good product.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:13:36 AM »
Ive never actually smoked a chuck roast alone like that , I always smoke and then braise in a pan of veggies ( pepper stout beef style ) and liquid to get that falling apart texture , usually only about 6 hours total .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 12:43:44 PM »
Whether I'm doing just a plain chuck or some version of PSB, I drop mine into a half pan with some beer & Worcestershire Sauce about halfway through the cook.  I usually get 4 - 4½ pounders cut for me at Sam's and it does take a while to get them all the way up to 200º.  I try to keep it around 250º so that the fat has plenty of time to render.  It's easily an 8 hour cook.  I also plan to rest for about hour.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:11:46 PM »
Ive never actually smoked a chuck roast alone like that , I always smoke and then braise in a pan of veggies ( pepper stout beef style ) and liquid to get that falling apart texture , usually only about 6 hours total .
Add my vote for pepper stout beef.
kettles, smokers...

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
I have never cooked PSB, I will have to give it a try next time.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
PSB is worth the price of admission. I would recommend going to meat counter and asking for one at least 4 lbs. 

That way it'll have plenty of time to get some smoke before you have to drop it in the pan and cover it with foil.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna