Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: first use  (Read 5519 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
first use
« on: February 18, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »
Maybe this is a dumb question, maybe not.  Has anyone just jumped in the fire and cooked with it right out of the box?  No hot run, no greasy chicken, no olive oil rub down, etc etc.  Is there a toxic layer of snake venom suspended in diesel oil coating the whole thing that needs to be carefully removed over the course of 37.4 cooks?

My inlaws got me a brand new 18.5" for xmas but unfortunately we didn't have room to bring it home from Indy (kids, toys, dog, wife, etc etc).  They are bringing it with them tomorrow when they come in to visit for the weekend and I want to make some ribs.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
Re: first use
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
I've cooked in a brand new Kettle, minutes after it was assembled....I'm still alive. I'd say the worst problem you may have is some air/smoke leaks...just another reason to babysit it and have a few cold ones

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
I've cooked in a brand new Kettle, minutes after it was assembled....I'm still alive. I'd say the worst problem you may have is some air/smoke leaks...just another reason to babysit it and have a few cold ones

Ditto. It won't necessarily seal perfectly at first, but there's nothing in there to harm you. Just some dust perhaps. You'll let it warm up anyway, and all will be well. Get at it!
Growing family = growing kettles!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 01:10:00 PM »
You will survive. Hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 04:23:32 PM »
That baby was made for ribs !!!   Start your coal (with maybe 25-30 lit in the center of your pile), add some hickory, all vents wide open.  When it hits 200F, shut down the bottom vents all the way except for one.  Set that one at about one fourth to half open and let the WSM settle-in.   Put the ribs on and monitor the cook.   Baby back 4-5 hrs, St Louie 5-6 hrs.  Use the flex test for doneness.   Man I've made myself hungry :(    Drink a beer, smoke a stogie, and ENJOY :)                              SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:58:06 PM »
It's funny. Zillions of people buy new kettles, or take Craigslist kettles home, and don't fret over incantations to season them.

But here's the thing. The WSM is made the same way as the kettles are. Not bare steel, not cast iron. Porcelain-enameled. What's more is, you can't "season" it," you'll never be able to get grease nor oil to embed itself in the metal like what happens with cast iron and bare steel.

Just knock the dust off and GO.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 02:55:40 AM »
@blksabbath I used mine brand new a few weeks ago. I just simply let the temp settle in longer than usual before putting meat on.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 03:05:50 AM »
Your brand new out of the box bullet will run hot on your first few cooks until you get some seasoning on it. Just so you know ahead of time and can make adjustments.

I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have time to season it properly, but at least wipe the interior down to try to remove anything that may have been part of the manufacturing process.

Don't fret it and enjoy it!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 06:13:34 AM »
What he said!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 06:29:00 AM »
Thanks for support guys.  I didn't think there would be an issue, but might as well check with those in the know.

cheers!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
first use
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 03:46:26 AM »
Did the deed. One rack of St. Louis style ribs rubbed with penzys bbq3000 smoke with hickory. Almost 7 hours at 225-250 according to the thermometer on top.  I am blown away how easy this thing is to keep temps.  I started with one vent closed, one 1/2, the last open.  When it got to 250 I closed the second vent all the way, the dialed back the last one to just a crack.  No big leaks, the door seemed tight enough, lid was snug, etc.

Ribs were good, best I've made in a while❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:49:13 AM by blksabbath »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 09:38:46 AM »
Yeah, that's one rib cookin' machine ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
My 22.5 WSM turns out some amazing ribs!..Weber did their research on these things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk