Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber unfair to its USA customers  (Read 8210 times)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber unfair to its USA customers
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »
Ya know we are members of the weberkettle forum
Everyone should be on my side . What the hell!!!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 06:59:41 PM »
Oh we  all WANT them to offer everything,  we jusy understand why they dont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
Americans won't pay the prices same prices for premium charcoal grills as the uk or canadian customers do when huge gassers can be had for the same price. Charcoal bbqs is a bottom market product and we will not see fancy colors in the USA without a full scale distributor that's committed to selling them at high volume. The marginal costs of producing fancy colors are likely not economical until you get to the more premium kettle lines.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 07:21:23 PM »
Americans won't pay the prices same prices for premium charcoal grills as the uk or canadian customers do when huge gassers can be had for the same price. Charcoal bbqs is a bottom market product and we will not see fancy colors in the USA without a full scale distributor that's committed to selling them at high volume. The marginal costs of producing fancy colors are likely not economical until you get to the more premium kettle lines.
BINGO! well said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 07:27:25 PM »

We are, but it is what it is. Big box stores, control the market. They shelf black by the pallet load. They don't need color for compulsive buying. Weber is trying to get more market share in other areas. Hence, color is their attractor. Same as Craig had said for the US market in the glory days.

Do what others have done recently, purchase on line from Canada. Color in the old days was an up charge, or just ground and pound for a vintage color. They are out there, be patient, know need for instant gratification.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »
I'll take a slightly different tack on this.   Sure, Weber is a business and they have their reasons.  That said, it doesn't mean that Weber is right.   Businesses make silly/wrong decisions all the time.   Perhaps this is something that Weber should take another look at.    They've done so with the Weber Q which started out white but finally comes in multiple colors.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 06:40:46 AM »
an uprising of female grillers should embark on an epic journey to Rolling Meadows, Palatine, etc. 

and they should carry pitchforks, like the good 'ole days. 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 07:09:41 AM »
Most customers (besides us at WKC ) probably do not realize that ther are other colors besides black.  The other day I walked into Lowes and Home Depot.  All the kettles were you guessed it .... black!  Last year Home Depot displayed a copper.  Not this year.  This tells me it did not sell enough to warrant shelf space.  What a shame.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:31 AM »
I think they should at least just offer ALL the options they sell as direct order items straight from Weber. Seems like that wouldn't require a huge amount of extra setup at the corporate level and it would keep us kooks happy! They make 'em all there anyway and have to ship them out from here too.

They certainly could do this if they restructured their market outlook. But they are entrenched with the old brick and mortar way of selling. If a new company comes along that sells direct to the customer, offering as good or better quality for less, Weber could be killed. I see the gassers particularly vulnerable here but not charcoal. Weber couldn't protect the Flavorizer innovation but nobody can successfully copy the kettle (for long.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2016, 09:17:43 AM »
If you want fair go to a small town in the Fall.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
I certainly see the colored MTs hitting the US market at some point . The Black kettle is Webers cash cow in the charcoal market its at a price point that consumers are comfortable with . If weber offered colors in the basic line , they would have to charge more as I'm fairly certain they are  more expensive to produce . The majority of folks when looking  for a new charcoal grill and are given the choice would go the cheap route and buy the black anyway( incidentally black is still one of the top selling car colors) so it makes no business sense in that regard . With the MT your appealing to a more select group of grillers and paying a premium price for a nice color wouldn't be an issue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
Go to jccayer.com in Canada and you can order
Any color you want and have it shipped to the good old
USA for $263.32 that is for the new 22.5 master
Touch.  I ordered mine in ivory ...
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Tuberoller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »
When I was in the UAE I saw all sorts of Weber products we don't get here. But what I understand is grills are a luxury item in many places outside the US. Whenever I saw a grill in Dubai it was spotless clean and typically kept indoors. They almost never use gas and the grills and fuel are not cheap.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2016, 10:09:57 AM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2016, 10:19:43 AM »
First, we all know that Weber is a private company and can do what it wants.  Any of us may think they should do it differently.  For instance, I myself cannot understand why they wouldn't offer a Gourmet System grilling grate for the 26er.  Seems like with one simple move they could open up an an entire market to the rest of Gourmet System line of accessories.  But I will probably have to build one myself before Weber gets around to making one.

Second, if color costs more then Copper Premiums would cost more, but they don't.  In fact, you can order either a black, copper, or green one from Amazon, right this very second, for exactly the same price and get free shipping if your a Prime member.  Which leads to . . . . .

Third, the fact that HD or Lowes doesn't want to carry a variety of colors should not limit our access to them.  That's what Amazon is for ! !

So, what have we discovered?

1. Weber can do what it wants, even if it doesn't make sense to any of us.

2. It can't cost more to produce kettles in red or blue or yellow than it does to produce them in copper or green, and we already have access, if limited, to those options.

3. With an overall population five times that of the UK, and a grilling population that's probably even higher, statistically, there should be a market for the kinds of products that we see in the UK or in Canada.  The fact that one or two huge retailers aren't interested is mitigated by the availability of the products online. 

All that being said, I have no idea how many Orange Crush Performers they would sell in a given year.  Maybe they do.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna