Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pellet hopper WSM  (Read 11007 times)

LION222

• Smokey Joe
Pellet hopper WSM
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:52:43 PM »
Bought this pellet hopper attachment for 200 awhile back from this guy that didn't want It anymore so I figure I would give it a try tonight seems to be working fine

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Re: Pellet hopper WSM
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:58:22 AM »
Notice a difference in flavor, smokiness, tenderness, etc compared to typical charcoal/wood chunk combo?

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:13:06 AM »
Holy smokes...now thats an envious mod to a wsm...
Grills

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 05:23:59 AM »

Bought this pellet hopper attachment for 200 awhile back from this guy that didn't want It anymore so I figure I would give it a try tonight seems to be working fine

If you don't like it I'll help you make a profit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LION222

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:25:46 AM »
@jdefran so far everything smells good still cooking on it right now put a pork shoulder last night almost done. I'll let you know how it comes out

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »

@jdefran so far everything smells good still cooking on it right now put a pork shoulder last night almost done. I'll let you know how it comes out

Can't wait to hear it! I've thought about it but they want a little too much for the pellet conversion. You got a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LION222

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »
@kettlecook yeah I seen them online the conversion kit is expensive I was lucky enough to find it on CL

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 02:25:46 AM »
I've had the Pellet Pro 22" WSM Stacker for a few years and it has performed flawlessly!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.510494269031726.1073741831.116187658462391&type=3
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 03:13:05 AM »
Whats the msrp on the pellet hopper?

Lion...how does the taste differ with no charcoal hit to the neat?
Grills

LION222

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 05:20:42 AM »
@toolhead the taste was good not as smokey but it was enough I prefer both methods and it's pretty efficient, I think they cost about $600 not for sure

LION222

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 05:24:49 AM »
@kettlecook  works really good like it a lot but not sure if I would pay full price for the hopper just because you can but bbq w/ a hopper for that much

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 04:19:24 PM »
$495 for the 18.5 and $500 for the 22.5. Both Smoke Daddy and Cajun Bandit sell them.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 01:39:23 PM »
Left Hand Smoke "Fire it up!" Approved!

I bought into a lot of negative comments like they don't produce enough smoke flavor, and got an A-Mazen-Tube and a Big Kahuna cold smoker, they will help, but I came to find out I only used them on hot and fast cooks or grilling for an extra "kick of smoke".

For Low & slow cooks I run the hopper at the smoke setting and cook at 180* for up to 4 hours and bump the temp up to 225-250*. Never had any complaints or could tell any difference in smoke flavor. The pellets are the heat source and burn clean at higher temps, smolder and produce good smoke at lower temps.

I suppose you could figure up the total grate space of the Pellet Pro WSM 22" Stacker conversion and compare it to the grate space available on the many pellet poopers out there and then its footprint compared to having another grill on the deck, or the convenience of going from pellets to charcoal in less than 30 seconds. Or not?

What I really like about the whole setup is that the ring (Stacker) is made by the Cajun Bandit, folks were buying up the stainless steel Stackers and converting kettles and WSM's long before the kit was offered. I had seen them and wasn't too impressed. But the Smoke Daddy crew are very responsive to customers needs, and the Cajun Bandit ring took the hack factor out of it. The new models come with a PID controller and have been very popular with the DIY pit builders, and a lot of big name cookers like R&O, Humphreys, Backwoods and others are using these controllers on their pellet options.

Speaking of Hacks - I wanted a Pellet Poopin' Bullet on wheels, so I cobbled this together with a Genesis frame, a 22" kettle and a 22" WSM center. Basically the same footprint as the WSM Stacker conversion only more portable.

I would even go so far as to recommend anyone in the market for a pellet grill to seriously consider a Pellet Pro Grill.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:52:22 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 08:05:32 PM »
Speaking of Hacks - I wanted a Pellet Poopin' Bullet on wheels, so I cobbled this together with a Genesis frame, a 22" kettle and a 22" WSM center. Basically the same footprint as the WSM Stacker conversion only more portable.

I would even go so far as to recommend anyone in the market for a pellet grill to seriously consider a Pellet Pro Grill.

I really like this setup. Very cool.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ