Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: As expected, I should've cleaned it yesterday, to use today :(  (Read 6726 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
As expected, I should've cleaned it yesterday, to use today :(
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »
This is the inside of my WSM. The spots are greenish mold. It always has a Weber cover on it. Luckily I had the foresight not to store the cook grates in it (an additional problem with my kettles.)

I've got a full chimney's worth of charcoal going full blast in there now. I'll see what happens.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: As expected, I should've cleaned it yesterday, to use today :(
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:25 PM »
... and it basically had no effect. Maybe another day I'll load up the 18 kettle and put this middle section it for a bit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »
Is that a result of leaving the vents closed up on it?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »
Interesting, I will be checking back to learn of any new progress.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
Happened to an old smoker I had. left it under a cover, vents closed for a couple months. I took it to the carwash and washed it with some bleach cleaner and rinsed it real good.
must have killed the mold cause it didn't kill me lol I guess we use our kettles enough to prevent that.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »
Is that a result of leaving the vents closed up on it?

Oh, is that what causes it? I close mine up, but I suppose I should be treating them like a "toilet seat," leave it up/open to help prevent it?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
Happened to an old smoker I had. left it under a cover, vents closed for a couple months. I took it to the carwash and washed it with some bleach cleaner and rinsed it real good.
must have killed the mold cause it didn't kill me lol I guess we use our kettles enough to prevent that.

I'll have to try that, thanks.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
Wow.  I have never seen this.  I took a look on the inside of mine over the weekend (haven't used it in a while) but it looked good.  Do you think it is just from all the moisture in the southeast?
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
I think it would be easiest to just hit it with some easy off, let it sit a bit, then scrap with razor blades.  But since I don't have a WSM I'm not really sure if the weber kettle cleaning technique applies to the mid section of the WSM or not....is that the same porcelain/ceramic as kettles?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
I think it would be easiest to just hit it with some easy off, let it sit a bit, then scrap with razor blades.  But since I don't have a WSM I'm not really sure if the weber kettle cleaning technique applies to the mid section of the WSM or not....is that the same porcelain/ceramic as kettles?

Referring to Easy-off - I try to avoid that stuff at all costs,  it is extremely bad to you personally and the environment.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:45:06 PM by LightningBoldtz »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »
Hmm, the Amazing Ribs article says don't use a cover unless you have a WSM. Well ... yes, and if I don't cover my machines water gets in. No thanks. So yes I'll use my covers. Also, I like my handles to not age in the sun and rain. And my paint not to fade!

Of course, if I could always store everything inside it wouldn't be a problem. I can get it clean eventually but don't understand yet how to prevent it besides opening vents up (with cover on) and removing the door, IF that'll work.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:49:30 PM »
I've had a similar problem with mine. I had it stored under the house where no sun hit it, vents open, no cover, occasional mold.

After having to clean it a couple of times, I started moving it to a spot where it wouldn't get rained on, but did get hit with the afternoon sun. No more mold issues!

We've moved, so it now lives in the basement, vents open, no cover and it's not molded since.

I think having it get some sun and heat up goes a long way in keeping the mold out. I also leave the water pan out to promote more air flow.

When I did have to clean it, I'd scrape off the mold and clean it with whatever household cleaner we use on our counters, and then burn a good fire.

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
As expected, I should've cleaned it yesterday, to use today :(
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »
Turning the middle section upside down will keep the water out, covered or not. We have a good bit of humidity here in middle TN and I've never had mold with the cover on. As already posted, keep the bottom vents open. One more thing: don't forget about the water pan after a cook.

Regarding your grates, keep em clean but not too clean. If you do keep em too clean then keep some veggie oil on em. Even the best cared for grate will eventually probably rust, especially if you cook with a lot of high heat. So last time my Performer grate rusted I went with the same kind that my big kettle has, STAINLESS. And I'm glad I did since I'm now torching it really good when using my Kettlepizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk