Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best commercial bbq sauce - other than Sweet Baby Ray's  (Read 10088 times)

vic

• Smokey Joe
Re: Best commercial bbq sauce - other than Sweet Baby Ray's
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
I particular to Deaf Mans California Mild. Good Stuff

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 03:47:42 PM »
Not trying to get into war with anyone.  But, last summer the Mayo clinic said this, "At this time, there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners."

With all of the back and forth about coffee, butter, alcohol, and who know what else, I don't put much stock the HFCS scare.  I do try to keep my overall sugar intake fairly low.  I drink my coffee black, my Coke Diet, and my scotch only with ice and a little water (it's called a Bin Laden).

I use honey, turbinado, and pure maple when I can, but also like Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red, which both contain HFCS, though it is way down on the ingredient list.

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:05 AM »
  Of the shelf sauce for me is Sweet Baby Rays . My friend made a nice clone of Blues Hog , I buy that from him by the gallon and it lasts me forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 08:09:36 AM »
Not trying to get into war with anyone.  But, last summer the Mayo clinic said this, "At this time, there's insufficient evidence to say that high-fructose corn syrup is any less healthy than other types of sweeteners."

True.  Sugar is sugar.  My issue with it is that it's a cheap substitute for the real thing - more of a filler.  I'd rather use a product that uses the best ingredients possible. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:13:11 AM by 21 »

kettlecook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 06:10:54 AM »

This is my number one, go to sauce.

Rufus Teague is pretty good too. The Touch O' Heat has anchovie paste in it....brilliant....I add a little cider vinegar and Tiger Sauce to improve it though. The Pappy's needs no doctoring.

Sounds like you know your sauces. I haven't tried thinning the RT like that but will. It might've been just too much honey, but the wife said the St. Louis ribs were a little too sweet last smoke. I've seen the Pappy's at Kroger so will see if they still have it. Thanks for the tip.

For pulled pork sammiches something to try is about a 50/50 mix of Stubb's original and a good Carolina Mustard sauce. (And a bit of a good coleslaw, of course.) Not much to it if you can't find a mustard sauce in the stores near you.

I often use Chris Lilly's loin back rib recipe that's in the Southern Living big BBQ book. I think it's called "pineapple apricot sweet ribs". Anyhow, since LAMBERT'S SWEET SAUCE O' MINE has apricot in it, no surprise that it works great with those ribs. They're foiled with a little mixture of apricot nectar, pineapple juice, rub, and minced garlic. Very good recipe and the garlic and fruit flavors balance out the sweetness. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »

True.  Sugar is sugar.  My issue with it is that it's a cheap substitute for the real thing - more of a filler.  I'd rather use a product that uses the best ingredients possible.

@21 I understand -and agree. 

I'm just saying that if there is a product that, otherwise, I happen to enjoy (Like Blues Hog) I'm not going to turn it away simply because the ketchup they use contains some HFCS.

I am also just a little frustrated with all the various "scares" that are out their along with their respective bandwagoners.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 07:39:53 AM »
I do like Sweet Baby Rays.  In the Carolinas and maybe some others we have Johnboy and Billy Sauces in which I love.  Other than those my wife's family loves me cooking with Carolina Treat sauce as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:34 AM »
Yeah, @Slicer021, Carolina Treat in great stuff.  I won an Anything But with wings marinated in it.

I always keep a bottle in the cabinet, right next to a bottle of Scott's.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy