Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wok cooking without the bbq system  (Read 3851 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Wok cooking without the bbq system
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:24:57 AM »
So I regret that I did not get any pics of this but yesterday I cooked on my bbq system wok without the bbq system grate. 

Grate is buried in snow on my performer, I have to say, I almost like doing it this way better.  I was able to get much better air flow and the heat seemed to go further up the wok.

I guess I am saying, if you want the wok but are waiting to get the grate system first, don't.

Wok cooking on the kettle is amazing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Saugust

• WKC Ranger
Re: Wok cooking without the bbq system
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 05:27:25 AM »
Did you set it on top of a standard grate? Or simply set it in a bed of coals? And I agree, using the wok is one of my favorite things to do on the kettle!
Growing family = growing kettles!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:05:32 AM »

Did you set it on top of a standard grate? Or simply set it in a bed of coals? And I agree, using the wok is one of my favorite things to do on the kettle!

On a standard grate, it gave a little air flow between the coals and the wok.

When I setup the coals I use two baskets with a little space between them.  I put a single layer of unlit. Coals down the light a full chimney do coals.  This gives a very hot fir for a while.

"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:36:55 AM »
Snow-buried Performer? Did you whisper softly to it? http://www.theonion.com/article/area-dad-stares-longingly-covered-grill-backyard-52151

Never thought about it before, but now that I do I wonder if the wok wouldn't instead be best on a standard grate, using a small Vortex. Here's why I say that:

Woks are intended to have high heat beneath the center. The sides of the wok are intentionally going to be cooler so that you can cool down cooked food and move uncooked food down into the center, yes? With wok sitting down in the system grate you might not be able to put enough coals underneath. With wok setup like you did, the sides might get too hot?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:02 AM »
Snow-buried Performer? Did you whisper softly to it? http://www.theonion.com/article/area-dad-stares-longingly-covered-grill-backyard-52151

Never thought about it before, but now that I do I wonder if the wok wouldn't instead be best on a standard grate, using a small Vortex. Here's why I say that:

Woks are intended to have high heat beneath the center. The sides of the wok are intentionally going to be cooler so that you can cool down cooked food and move uncooked food down into the center, yes? With wok sitting down in the system grate you might not be able to put enough coals underneath. With wok setup like you did, the sides might get too hot?

Hehe!  Gotta love the onion!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:05 AM »

Yeah, my method might not have been the most technical as far as wok cooking but the results were fantastic.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
And don't get me wrong, results are what matters. I was just thinking out loud here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:17:13 AM »
I think a vortex with a wok would be a perfect match. I don't have one but might could down the road. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 07:21:06 AM »
I think a vortex with a wok would be a perfect match. I don't have one but might could down the road. 

And I don't have either, which is why I can sit here and "bench race" them both. :)

I think I'd be interested to use the GBS grate with nothing in the center, and support the wok by other means. Retaining the regular grate insert with any regularity and with a Vortex underneath would surely accelerate the nickel plating going south.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »
If you have Netflix look up Alton browns good  eats show the one where he makes pad thai, he cooks on a kettle on a wok with a support  for the wok. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 07:38:46 AM »
I will, thanks. Didn't know Good Eats was on Netflix! Been ages since we had cable TV, and I wasn't going to spend the large green for the DVDs.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »
I thought the weber wok was a round bottom wok. Is it flat to sit evenly on the regular grate?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »
I thought the weber wok was a round bottom wok. Is it flat to sit evenly on the regular grate?

The BBQ System wok is flat on the bottom and sits pretty nicely on the food grate.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 09:41:49 AM »
So Austin, think of it as having a built-in base or stand. The interior is indeed round but the exterior is flat.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »