Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pepper Stout Beef  (Read 2379 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pepper Stout Beef
« on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:30 PM »
Only my second go of this. Might be another hour before it's done?

2 small chuck roasts, each about 2.5lbs and USDA Choice, not Prime. Better marbling!

1 poblano pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 beef bouillon packet dissolved in about 1 pint of hot water
1 Bell’s Special Double Cream Stout
about 2-3 tbsp sliced red onion
1 small shallot (aren't all shallots small? Never mind
3 freshly pressed garlic cloves
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

Meat seasoned with pink himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper, shown basking in the sun on this cold day.

Meat showed even more fat on the other side but is in the middle, so nothing trimmed. Placed in middle of grill with char baskets to each side. Firebricks on top of cooking grate somewhat isolate meat from sides of grill where heat was.

On at 2:30, grill stayed hot … a good 300 + for 1 hour. Too hot, but it was a late start so I didn't reduce it. But at 3:30 I did close the bottom vent down to 1/4 and top vent to half. The bottom had been half closed.

Back from an errand 40 mins later, grill was down to about 275-300. Again, since it's after 4pm and chilly outside I didn't mind the extra heat. Inserted Maverick probes into each roast. 200 and 208. “Oh crap!”

I wasn’t ready with the rest of it.

Brought meat into kitchen. Sliced/prepped the other things. Tossed it all in a baking dish and took it back out to the grill. No firebricks now.

Prodded coals to remove ash from char baskets. Almost no coals left, junky Kingsford blue ... Opened all vents fully and added lump to char baskets. Meat was down to 133-150, depending on the probe; cooking grate almost nothing.

5:35, about 45 mins after first removing the meat, and the meat is still 154-167 but slowly climbing. The lump is getting hot but there's so much liquid from the [cold] beer and broth that there's a huge temp deficit to now overcome.

5:45, 165 and 180. Climbing faster now.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pepper Stout Beef
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
Nice looking roasts.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »
Looks like it'll be good when it's finished!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
Thanks! Turned out well. Can't really place the taste however. Rich and flavorful but not super-delicious. I know that doesn't make sense. Thumbs-up from the others. Room for experimentation although shredded meat isn't everyone's favorite here.

Unfortunately I forgot to make any greens. The mashed potatoes were the instant kind made in the microwave, allowed to "rest" and then transferred to a few small cast iron pieces, cheese sprinkled on top on 2 of them and moved to the grill while the meat reached about 208-210.

Tasty leftovers!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 03:40:29 PM »
I've got a spare Kaiser roll sittin' right here ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:35:13 PM »
Looks great, just sayin'

But then again, I like shredded meat

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »
Sure looks good to me! [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »
Let's eat!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 11:18:52 PM »
Looks great.
Cooks that don't go perfectly to plan are the best learning curves.
One brisket was done 3 hours prior to guests arriving. Left it wrapped in tin foil in a cooler and was my best cook yet.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 04:47:56 AM »
looks awesome to me!!   I will discuss with Mrs Chuck_S and let you know her thoughts!!   

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 05:03:19 AM »
Everything I'm reading says Prime has more, not less, marbling than Choice but that's not necessarily the case in my experience. And after watching Steak Revolution I'm not sure why we should be paying a premium for Prime (which is also a younger cow?).

I might need to go back to cooking pork. Life seems simpler there, to understand!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »
Looks great and I think there is nothing wrong with instant mashed potatoes.  There is nothing better than freshly made mashed potatoes but the instant ones are pretty damn close.  Make it so quick and easy to cook and use as a side once the meat is off and resting....along with a can of green beans.  Canned green beans and instant MP's make pulling a quick meal together so easy!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:06:55 AM »
Looks great.
Cooks that don't go perfectly to plan are the best learning curves.
One brisket was done 3 hours prior to guests arriving. Left it wrapped in tin foil in a cooler and was my best cook yet.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

You accidently found the secret to Great Brisket.  Looooooong Rest.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »
Looks killer to me! Nice n juicy
SMOKE THIS!!