Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Talk to me about how food tastes  (Read 4326 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Talk to me about how food tastes
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:07:43 AM »
I've never used the Q300 I cleaned up and invested new parts in. Thought I might want to, but never could get interested. I posted it for sale on CL and (I think) on here but was asking too much I suppose. Since it's not truly portable (don't feel like unbolting it from frame) it wouldn't get moved, although I do appreciate how high it is compared to my kettles.

So it's been sitting, but I'm at the point where I'm reconsidering what its cooking advantages are, if any. I need examples beyond "oh, it saves me time in the middle of the week when coming home from work ..." << I get that.

I'm not sure the convenience of not having to deal with charcoal and ash is enough of an incentive, because if I don't feel like going outside I'm OK with doing something in the kitchen during winter especially.

The subject line is I suppose my main concern ... what do I cook on it that tastes better than what I might do in the kitchen? Got examples? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, but look at my username; I appreciate a bit of "earthiness" or smokiness, even if just from charcoal alone.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Talk to me about how food tastes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »
Last night it was -10 degrees. My Q came in handy. Did a Tri and it was very tasty. My bride prefers burgers off the Q. Once your Q is seasoned, you will be surprised of the flavor.
I can achieve a very nice sear lines on the Q. Better than my Kettles, but I don't have a Vortex or SNS. I believe they have a place in the stable, my 2 cents.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:08:52 AM »
Yeah I guess I just need to keep an open mind about it and learn how to use the "quasi" two-zones.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:35:47 AM »
I have used many q's over the years.  Personally I think the 300/3000 is too big I think the results are the same.  I think a q is a perfect gasser companion to a kettle head.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »
I have 2 q's, a 1200 and a 2200. I use both of them sporadically.

The heat quick and cook just as any gasser. I cook steaks, burgers, veggies and a slew of other things. The food tastes and looks great.

I like them but again I don't have the large one. These 2 don't take up a lot of space and are both portable.

The nice part about the 300/3000 is that you can cook indirect depending on what you are cooking. Australia had a roasting plate they sell to go with these things.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
I always go to charcoal when I have time, but when you don't, the Q's are a great companion.  You can get burgers going in minutes and if you season the grates regularly they'll will last and give you a great sear.  Personally I prefer the smaller Qs so I can use them as a portable if needed, but the Q300 does get great results for a gasser.  I say, give it a chance.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 02:27:13 AM »
Winter time Garage cooks on the Q are perfect

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 07:00:21 AM »
OK this has been addressed elsewhere I'm sure, but as most of you don't regularly use your gassers (Q included) what, if anything, do you do to store the cooking grates? If I don't use a grill for several months cooking grates get either moldy or rusty, regardless of what they're made of.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't like to totally scrub my cooking grates, I like to leave a little grease on there, but unless I take it all off it'll get nasty. And if I do take it all off it'll rust. This holds true for my kettles too.

I'm envisioning some kind of indoor storage that alleviates the mold issue but allows them to stay a little greasy overall, but somehow doesn't create a mess moving them in or out.

I kid you not ... this is a primary reason I don't keep a lot of machines, dealing with longer-term cook grate storage for the ones that don't get used every week or two. I haven't found that balance yet.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 07:04:28 AM »
Winter time Garage cooks on the Q are perfect ...

As luck would have it, my Q is the only machine not out back with the kettles. I could back a car out into the driveway in bad weather and wheel the Q in.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 07:08:00 AM »
I think that the Q is what a gas grill should be; ridiculously simple. Like a kettle!
I have a 200 series and love what it does for burgers, sausages or steaks. We gave my elderly parents a 300 a few years ago and I have used it a few times. The ability to have different heat zones is a big plus.
I have not tried it on my Q, but sometimes I put a piece of wood (or a foil pouch of chips) on the grate of my Genisis for a touch of smoke.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 07:17:19 AM »
Sounds about right.

Not quite sure I'm down with the "inside vs outside" 2 zones; at retail prices I'd think a basic two-knob Spirit would still be a better machine, given that neither are portable. But obviously I don't know for sure.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 09:12:21 AM »
OK this has been addressed elsewhere I'm sure, but as most of you don't regularly use your gassers (Q included) what, if anything, do you do to store the cooking grates? If I don't use a grill for several months cooking grates get either moldy or rusty, regardless of what they're made of.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't like to totally scrub my cooking grates, I like to leave a little grease on there, but unless I take it all off it'll get nasty. And if I do take it all off it'll rust. This holds true for my kettles too.

I'm envisioning some kind of indoor storage that alleviates the mold issue but allows them to stay a little greasy overall, but somehow doesn't create a mess moving them in or out.

I kid you not ... this is a primary reason I don't keep a lot of machines, dealing with longer-term cook grate storage for the ones that don't get used every week or two. I haven't found that balance yet.

After you finish grilling, pour some vegetable oil on a cheap cotton grill cloth (or a couple of paper towels) and wipe your grates to give them a thin coat of oil. 

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 07:13:08 PM »
Or buy a can of spray Pam and hit the cooking and the charcoal grate

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:51:19 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind. At the moment, this machine is nothing more than an elaborate device for heating up frozen pizza rolls quickly and without running the kitchen oven unnecessarily. So there's that.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »
Sounds about right.

Not quite sure I'm down with the "inside vs outside" 2 zones; at retail prices I'd think a basic two-knob Spirit would still be a better machine, given that neither are portable. But obviously I don't know for sure.
Problem is the 2 knob Spirit is made in China now and is basically a small step up from the other junk out there.  Real made in the USA gassers are several hundred dollars more.
The Weber Q I believe is still made in the USA, and is all cast aluminum, stainless steel burner and cast iron grate (at least the most recent version I've had was).  I think best answer is used older style Genesis (with the thermometer on the right hand side) or maybe a Q.  The regulators on the Q's are junk, however, and are by far the weak point on the machine (and they cost a pretty penny to replace, like $35-50).

As far as taste, I just like burgers, chicken, sausages or dogs done over some form of a grill rather than in a pan.  I imagine that it is a personal preference, but part of it is also I'm LOOKING for an excuse to get outside and grill most times, as opposed to looking for a reason why it tastes better and couldn't just be done in the kitchen.  For me, going outside is part of the enjoyment.