Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Craft beer  (Read 18067 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Craft beer
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:33:58 PM »

Happy birthday to me. This is one of my favorites, from a local brewery. It's an imperial stout aged in local wine and spirit barrels. Only available for a few weeks, this month.
Still need a 22” yellow

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
Re: Craft beer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:22:53 PM »
I love stout  ...  the antithesis of I(frek'n)PA.                               SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »
Craft beer fanatic over here...much to my girlfriends aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »
I said it in another thread... So much focus on good food, and all too often no attention paid to the beer that goes with it.

I once was looking for facebook groups and forums for good BBQ, came across the group "BBQ and Beer" and joined right away, only to see countless post after post of ice cold macro lager in beer coozies. I quickly saw myself out :(

I LOVE me a good stout. Especially an IRS. My favorite is

which is rediculously expensive so I don't get it nearly often enough (though really, not that expensive if you compare it to good IRS in bombers, or drinking most beers at a brewery - bout equal in cost). Old Rasputin is kinda my easy to find go to as its moderately priced (all things considered). Just tried Bourbon County stout, and while I am not that into bourbon, and the taste is very apparent to me in it... Its pretty damn good, would love to try it after a year or so once that has calmed down a bit.

I love hops too. IPAs may be a bit over done... But really so many delicious hops out there to mix many of them offer something different. I think simcoe is one of my favorites right now. Only problem with IPAs is they are hard to buy in stores... They are always really expensive and while they aren't "bad" an IPA after a month or two is no where near as awesome... So its hard to pay that premium if its not at its freshest. REALLY like the stuff Noble Aleworks is doing, but thats not gonna help anyone much if they aren't near by Anaheim :P

Hoping to move soon enough here so I can get back to brewing. Current place doesn't have enough room fermentation and doesn't have easy enough drainage, ect... But I still have most my equipment and am eager to get back at it.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:20 PM »
@MeatAndPotatos   Can you get your hands on Oakshire Overcast Espresso Stout down south in Anaheim (I'm assuming that's in SoCal).  Brewed and bottled here in Eugene and far better than McMenamin's Terminator or any of the other posers !!!     Although, my Grandson set me up with a bottle of AleSmith Speedway Stout in Seattle (I think it's a SoCal ale) that was, in a word, F'n F'ntastic.                               SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jbenavidez2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:01:19 AM »
Dood, is that a DR12? Got any Pumpkinator, LOL?

Looking for Blues

Currently have: 26.75 Gold; 22.5 SS Performer (Red Mist); 22.5 Mastertouch (Ivory); 18 Sam Adams (Copper); SJS; Jumbo Joe; 18.5 WSM; Genesis EP-330 LP (Copper); Summit S-450 NG; Fireplace; Firepit; Summit 400 Flat Top; Simpsons 22.5 Gold

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »
I second the ten fidy, it is a phenomenal beer. Satin solitude is an imperial stout by central waters brewing that is pretty damn good.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »

Dood, is that a DR12? Got any Pumpkinator, LOL?

Some of the highlight beers:

A few dozen Dogfish 120 (tough task to get that many)

Dogfish Black and Blue (I can never get enough of this brew for a change of pace)

DR 14, 15 (limited release)

Bishop Barrel 5, 8, 9 (very rare to get to the house at all)

Pumpkinator (quite a few from the past 3 years)

Karbach FUN serious 002, 009 and 012

To name about 5%. Lol

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »
Went to Target the other day looking for gluten-free frozen meatballs. Spent $70 on craft beer instead. Target here is doing hard work carrying great national, regional and also local brews, even the tiniest local nano breweries. Somebody cares. The two major grocery store chains, Publix and Kroger's, are very conservative but of course, if a brewery makes it there they can really make bank.

Boys, we are truly living in a golden age for beer, you know that, right? Georgia's brewery laws are super restrictive compared to almost anywhere else. It's the distributorship system ... anyway, there's still a lot to sample here; I don't know how you guys keep up with what's out where you are.

I also welcome the growler shops we now have. Really helps get a few smaller brews that aren't yet bottled, for example. But my latest indulgence is exemplified by a place that has a regular rotation of food trucks and curated beer. http://truckandtap.com

A sign I saw on the way out today read, "Bring your favorite LP in Sunday night to play, and get 10% off beer!" I think they've found my number.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
That's awesome. I agree...golden age!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 08:09:04 PM »
Rant with a few beers in me.

Screw Sam Adams. I tend to drink seasonal. Sure they put out some descent brews. But if I'm shoveling my driveway in February, I want a porter or stout. Because of Sam Adams, my local brewery has to release their Sping Batch in February, to compete with Cold Snap. I'm sitting by the pool in August, let me reach for a nice refreshing Oktoberfest!!! Fu$k that. Sure Boston larger is the best choice at a chain restaurant, but I'm done with it. No more Sam Adams for me. Who's with me?
Still need a 22” yellow

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
@MeatAndPotatos   Can you get your hands on Oakshire Overcast Espresso Stout down south in Anaheim (I'm assuming that's in SoCal).  Brewed and bottled here in Eugene and far better than McMenamin's Terminator or any of the other posers !!!     Although, my Grandson set me up with a bottle of AleSmith Speedway Stout in Seattle (I think it's a SoCal ale) that was, in a word, F'n F'ntastic.                               SJ
Don't think so... Looked up their website and I can't imagine their distribution reaches too far. Gotta love that their suggested food pairings for it start with "BBQ Beef" though... :D

Oatmeal can make a nice addition to stouts, but I gotta say I like a nice heavy stout with no adjuncts TBH.
Would love to try their Ride Your Bike (though a little late now), that one sounds pretty good too.

I'll agree Sam Adams can fuck right off... Though I do actually like their glasses. Wish I could buy one unlabeled, lol.

And as stupid as it might be... I rarely drink Firestone Walker. But was trying to buy something decent while at Walmart (Balling on a budget, and they at least usually have Lagunitas IPA that moves fast enough to be fresh), and picked up their mixed 12 with Easy Jack, Pale 31, Union Jack and DBA.
All god damn solid. for being a pale ale the hops from the Pale 31 hit my nose immediately after opening the bottle without even pouring. Easy Jack has probably been my favorite, though its maybe a little grassy, but solid beers all around for being a Walmart 12 pack.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »
Rant with a few beers in me.

Screw Sam Adams. I tend to drink seasonal. Sure they put out some descent brews. But if I'm shoveling my driveway in February, I want a porter or stout. Because of Sam Adams, my local brewery has to release their Sping Batch in February, to compete with Cold Snap. I'm sitting by the pool in August, let me reach for a nice refreshing Oktoberfest!!! Fu$k that. Sure Boston larger is the best choice at a chain restaurant, but I'm done with it. No more Sam Adams for me. Who's with me?

I've been with you on that long before you made that call.

Unless I go back to Boston again. Sam's in Boston is a completely different tasting beer. Proximity helps.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 04:15:54 AM »
SA Amber Ale was the first decent beer I tried back in the 90s. You have to give them props for paving the way for so many other breweries. Had one a while back, after a 10+ year absence. Not bad, but today there's been an explosion of choices, rendering it unnecessary. Appareictae it for what it is and what it represents and move on.

I agree some of their seasonals are just fine, but they are also guilty of starting the trend of diluting a 12-pk variety pack by having 1/4th of the box be the Amber Ale. As if you can't find a 6-er of that already?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
If you can find it, grab it. One of my favorites this year