Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Sliced butt questions  (Read 1167 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Sliced butt questions
« on: December 31, 2015, 01:00:09 PM »
Looking to smoke a boneless butt and do slices instead of pulling; I have two so it's possible to try a couple different techniques.

So far I'm thinking of smoking till 180ish, resting, slicing. Is it necessary to refrigerate/freeze before slicing?

I'm wondering if an injection or wet brine (or cure) is necessary..

Any suggestions or experience to share?

I recall @austin87 has done something similar to this but I think it was buckboard bacon. I'm looking for more like BBQ pork you'd find in a restaurant or even something to make Cubans with.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Sliced butt questions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
Here's what I do
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/10/07/unpulled-pork-steaks/

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:30:18 PM »
JD, Troy makes some great looking pork steak.  For Asian style Char Siu, search the interNET for an Asian recipe.  It'll have both a marinade and a rub, AND five spice.   Give a couple of them a try.                              SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
@jdefran sorry for the delay I took a couple days skiing with poor reception. I like to cook sliced pork butt to 185-190. If you are cooking low (225) you won't have much carryover cooking. If you are cooking hot and fast (325) you'll probably raise 20 degrees.

Either way I would wrap it and let it rest for at least an hour or two. Troy's method looks great for a 2 part cook but if you want to cook and serve without the overnight rest it will still be great.

I've done good sliced pork as low as 175 but think a little higher is the sweet spot. Let us know if you have more questions.