Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled Pork Confusion  (Read 5980 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Pulled Pork Confusion
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:55:58 PM »
So starting to do some research for doing my first pulled pork.  I know there is a lot of info in the WKC which I've read a lot of.  In my searching I found this http://www.weber.com/recipes/pork/pulled-pork-barbecue-with-hot-pepper-vinegar-sauce which is from a book I have and saw on the Internet.  Well in there Jamie Perviance says to cook the pork shoulder at 350-450f until internal temp of 190 is reached.  Most everything I've read here says much lower grill temp plus adds foil wrapping and what not. In the interest of time I'm tempted to try Jamie's method but want good results. Anyone ever try this?  Recommendations are most welcome. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pulled Pork Confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:24:09 PM »
I cook mine to 195 if I'm going to pull it as opposed to slice it. I smoke at 225 to 250. Wrap it in foil once your bark looks visually pleasing. When the stall sets in open your vents and crank up the heat. I have not tried anything similar to what your link lists but I can't imagine it wouldn't taste good. Might try it with a smaller picnic shoulder just to compare the two methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
I usually smoke them at 275-300, don't really stress the cooker temp. At that temp it usually powers right through the stall. I bring mine to 202 internal. Never had any complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
At 350 or more he will get quite the carry over. Might even wind up with some spots hitting over 200f doing that. Myron Mixon says he can cook moist shoulder at 350f AND Perviance is Weber's go-to guy so both of them have got to be onto something.

I'd suggest using a whole bone in blade. If you get a small supermarket cut it make dry out at that temp.. Or put a pan of water right over the coals. Maybe do both. Highest I've ever gone was a little shy of 300.

Let us know how it turns out.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
I used to run my temps at 250-275, and wrap after about six hours once the bark had set.

But my last two trys at pulled pork I've run at 225 and didn't wrap. It took a lot longer, but man I'm so much happier with what comes out. Much much better bark, and more complete fat rendering. Better texture too. Even my wife agrees, and insists that I do it this way from now on.

I'm a Carolina boy, so vinegar sauce is a must for me with pulled pork. My go to recipe is: 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes.

Can't wait to see how it comes out, and be sure to post some pics.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
I cook around 260-280.  I smoke with apple wood and cook to 195.  I then pull it off wrap in foil and let it sit for about one hour.  Don't worry,  Boston butts or shoulders are very forgiving.  They can handle wide temperature fluctuations.  Just throw it on the kettle and cook it.  Another thing I do is cut off the fat cap.  I have found that it does not add to the moisture on the meat.  All it does is melt and roll off in the drip pan.  There is more than adequate marbleing through out the meat to keep it moist.  Also with the fat cap removed you will get more bark...the good stuff!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:08:29 AM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »
I've stopped wrapping and usually cook in the 260-280 range. It's high enough that it barely stalls. I haven't figured out my ideal temp yet but have yanked them off between 195 and 205. I like the fork and twist test (insert fork and twist - if it's like swirling spaghetti it's done) because all butts are a little different.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 01:17:22 AM »
I now do mine hot and fast.  Works out roughly to be about an hour per pound.  Powers right thru the stall.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/the-18'-outrider-is-a-great-cooker/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 04:45:26 AM »
Great input guys!  Apparently more then one way to skin a cat...or roast a pig...or something like that.   

I will be trying this hopefully within a week or so...very busy.   

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 06:35:16 AM »
MY GF's brother in law usually does his around 325.  He never has to sit through a stall and it always comes out as good as my slow and low shoulders.  I think shoulers and butts have enough fat to prevent them from drying out when cooking at higher temps.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 11:21:12 AM »
MY GF's brother in law usually does his around 325.  He never has to sit through a stall and it always comes out as good as my slow and low shoulders.  I think shoulers and butts have enough fat to prevent them from drying out when cooking at higher temps.

@MikeRocksTheRed interesting. Does he foil at any point?
Still need a 22” yellow

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »
@TheDude - No foil....he usually flies right through the stall.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
This is an interesting thread. If I can rip through a butt, without having to get up at the butt crack... I'm all over it.
Still need a 22” yellow

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
I've never cook that butts that fast either.  Might have to give it a try, though.

I usually run about 275º, plus or minus 10º.  I do not wrap butts for home use, only when competing.  After they hit 195º IT, it's all about the feel. 

Just be sure to give yourself enough time to let them rest for at least an hour, then I use HD foil and a tight lidded cooler.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
If I can rip through a butt, without having to get up at the butt crack... I'm all over it.

Oh that's rich. You should add that to your signature.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"