Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone make turkey legs?  (Read 3249 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Anyone make turkey legs?
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:53:24 PM »
Has anyone in WKC made smoked turkey legs on a kettle?  Thought that would be a cool idea.  Thoughts anyone?
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Anyone make turkey legs?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:04:37 AM »
I've had my eye on these for a while but haven't cooked them yet: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/disney_smoked_turkey_legs.html

The other night I smoked some turkey thighs for tacos, basically an identical cook to this one a few months back: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/smoked-turkey-thigh-tacos/

Otherwise I'll just have to keep my eyes out for your cook and see if they turn out!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
Baked in foil with BBQ sauce & pickle juice......

Then charred up out of the foil later......

Timing , I can't totally say, as they are all different sizes when found separately in the stores.....275 / 300 usually works good & just go 'till you get them fairly mushy, but not completely fall-apart / off-the-bone..........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »
@1buckie - Cooking in foil!!!!!  I like it.  I've always been able to make really good turkey legs in the oven (in a pan covered with foil) and haven't figured out how to reproduce it on the grill.  I'm thinking you nailed it!!!!  I'd probably go without the sauce and maybe put an onion slice in each foil packet.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed

You could use "other things" instead of BBQ sauce......this is one of the few times I'll ever use a tomato-based BBQ sauce......however, the pickle juice REALLY changes things here......NO dill.....anything but dill works, even a mix with a little dill juice in.....but it way helps to add some kind of brazing moisture.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
Nice!  I have been thinking of cooking them for awhile. Thanks for the ideas and pics.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
I cook Turkey legs along the side of the turkey every year. They’re my favorite part of the turkey :)
I just brine them with the turkey and cook them indirect for about 1.5 hours, temp around 360. Since my brine contain a lot of seasoning, I just brush with butter prior to putting them on the grill.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:28:50 PM »
@1buckie or @BBcue-Z do you guys do anything to remove the tendons prior to cooking or just eat around them?

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 02:34:31 PM »
I just eat around them. The meat was so tender and falling off the bone, so I had no trouble pulling the tendons right out.

teriau

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
I did these a while back using the Disney Smoked Turkey Leg recipe, curing salt and all. Used the snake method on the kettle. Turned out great.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 06:47:37 AM »
Turkey legs and thighs are my favourite parts.

Just this past Christmas, it was only my wife and I, so instead of doing a whole bird, parts it was.

I light coating of EVOO, then my go-to rub for all meat …. Salt & Pepper.

Some apple and cherry wood for smoke.  Dome temperature at 325°, so about 275° at the grate.  On for just over 2 hours.  It was delicious!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.