Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Greasy ribs  (Read 3032 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Greasy ribs
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
My ribs are hit or miss.  St. Louis style, remove as much fat as possible, remove the membrane, dry rub overnight, 225-275 for 4+ hours.....blah blah blah.  They look and smell wonderful, but are sometimes so greasy that i have to trash most of the rack.  Maybe its a quality issue?  I've made them in bulk for parties and had "best ribs ive ever had" comments.  My little girl was eating Pappy's and said "daddy's are better".   Now im in a rut.   The past 3-4 cooks end up as a gooey mess.  Actually the ends are tasty, bit the rest is crap.

How do you guys pick you meats?  How much trimming?  Its frustrating to say the least.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Greasy ribs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
only thing I can think of is you're not letting them go long enough for the fat to render out for the temperature you're cooking at. i've cooked ribs low and slow, hot and fast and at temps/times in between. i've never had a problem with them being too greasy to eat.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:00:55 PM »
Are they bite through or fall off the bone? Do you wrap them in foil or keep them naked the entire time? Do you use a water pan? How are the ends different from the middle? Where are you measuring temp on your grill? What's the bend like when you pick up a finished rack in the middle?

Like mrbill I'm wondering if you haven't cooked them long enough at the right temp so the "greasy" that you are mouth feel/taste is actually chunks of intramuscular fat that hasn't completely rendered. This would leave you with little fat chunks inside the meat that might have an unpleasant texture vs fully fat rendered ribs that are smooth and delicious.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »
What temp are you cooking at? I've had better success with ribs cooked closer to 275 than 225. The higher temp might render the fat and connective tissue better for you.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 10:30:48 PM »
Cooked a lot of Ribs at 225, cooked a lot of Ribs at 275.  I've never had a rack that only took 4 hrs to complete.   But I cook my ribs naked (no sauce, never foiled) with just rub.  Doneness test I use is standard bend test (grab the end of the rack w/ tongs, the opposite end should be drooping  toward 70-90 degrees and the meat should just be starting  to pull away from the bones).  When you cook half-a-rack, then test with the toothpick between bones for meat firmness.

Not all ribs are created equally, some Baby Backs take as long as the St Louie cut, some an hour less.  Mine usually take 4.5 to 5.5 hrs for BB, and an hour more for St Lou. at 225.  I use Maverick 733 to measure cooking grate temp, not the lid dome thermo.

Ribs, they're what's for dinner  ...  ummmm.                            SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
Interesting.  I usually do mine for 2 hours in wrapped, then 2 hours wrapped with a splash of beer or apaple juice.  After the 2 hours wrapped, I pull off, get the grill cranking again, then sauce over high heat.  I've never had them turn out bad that way.  They are usually a little to fall of the bone if I were to enter them into a competition.  I've only done unwrapped once and they took a good 6 hours if not longer.  When I did unwrapped I just kept checking them during the last hour to see when they were starting to pull apart.

Like @austin87 mentioned, maybe you aren't measuring your temp at the cooking grate (as close to the meat without touching it) so your temps are really what you think they are.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:51 AM »
What temp are you cooking at? I've had better success with ribs cooked closer to 275 than 225. The higher temp might render the fat and connective tissue better for you.

When i first started doing ribs my wife felt they were too fatty. started doing at 275 and no complaints since.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:51:26 AM »
Thanks for help guys.  Yeah, i think im rushing them and need to add another hour or two.

Im measuring the temp with a remote thermometer on the grate, also occasionally with thermapen thru the vent.