Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I love my gasser  (Read 4661 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
I love my gasser
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:00:33 PM »
I know that the kettle is placed on the pedestal around these parts - and justifiably so. If I were forced to live with only one grill, it would be a kettle. Well... maybe a Smokey Mountain.

But tonight SWMBO was stopping at the gym after work to run her 4 miles and then had a spa appointment to boot. I'd like to make something nice for St. Valentine's Day and tomorrow we have a club meeting so there is no time them. And besides, with today being Ash Wednesday, we needed something meatless.

I pulled some salmon fillets out of the freezer and thawed them. To go with that I sliced a couple small potatoes in half (those fake Yukon gold ones) and divided a head of broccoli by splitting each floret down the stalk. Just before I expected her home I fired the grill up to season it since baking my Lodge Sportsman's grill at 600° for half an hour had pretty much removed all seasoning from the CI grate. Just as I was applying some peanut oil, she came home so I put the spuds on. They'll take the longest. When they were ready to flip, I put the broccoli and salmon on. Spuds and broccoli got salt and spuds got pepper too. I put some Chesapeake Bay seasoning (fake Old Bay?) on the salmon and all got a liberal squirt of peanut oil.

Broccoli was done first so I put that in a closed Pyrex casserole and set it on top of the lid. That's my poor man's warmer and something else the kettle doesn't do. A few minutes later the spuds and salmon were done and they went into the casserole and inside to the table.

Dinner was a thing of beauty. The potatoes, broccoli and salmon all had nice grill marks. Add a green salad and a glass (or two) of Pinot Grigio and we had a great dinner! Apologies for no pictures as it was late and we were hungry.

Yeah... it would have been better cooked over charcoal with a touch of cherry wood smoke, but the lack of a fixed schedule favored a gas grill that can heat up in a couple minutes. And it was still far better than the same food cooked inside in the kitchen.

Happy St. Valentine's Day!
kettles, smokers...

kaz

• WKC Brave
Re: I love my gasser
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
I hope you paid your wife the same compliment you just paid your BBQ grill! You dog!

Yeah i am really in like with my e-320 too. Got a pic of your love-a-que grill?
#grubdubs

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »
I hope you paid your wife the same compliment you just paid your BBQ grill! You dog!

Yeah i am really in like with my e-320 too. Got a pic of your love-a-que grill?

Dinner was my homage to her. Salmon is one of her favorites. She likes the grilled veggies as well. And I also made home made garlic dressing for the salad. Dessert was a little light though. Pretzels and Nutella, though that's actually not too bad.

The Silver A is the one on the left.
kettles, smokers...

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Gasser as part of the team! We love ours and it has CI grates. makes for some awesome grill marks.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »
Great cooking! I am looking to add a gassed too. Want one with double flavorizer bars. Not sure what model they are though...

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:11:22 AM »
Looks like a fine little grill. My Mom's boyfriend has a silver B outfitted with the RCplaneguy flavorizer bars and SS rod grates. He loves that grill now that he's got it completely re-done. Which is cool we eat good over there on it, and I agree those rods are sweet. But, my misses uses our gas grill as much or more than I do and she likes the cast iron grates that are on it. But, she has them flipped over with the fat side up.

Only natural that Hank is on here talking about how awesome his propane grill is! :rolleyes:
#grubdubs

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 05:43:34 AM »
Only natural that Hank is on here talking about how awesome his propane grill is! :rolleyes:
  ;D
kettles, smokers...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
I love my (red Genesis) gas grill too!  It makes a great windbreak for my kettles and WSM when the weather is blasting.   ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:56 PM »
I've had probably a dozen Weber Genesis gassers over the years, most picked up for next to nothing, fixed up and given away to family. They work great, and last forever if you keep them covered and maintained. I will say that three burners is minimum - I would like four or six! I had a Jenn Air grill for a year that I picked up at a yard sale, and honestly didn't like it as much. It was bigger, stainless everywhere, but in almost every respect it was a disappointment. When I began to look to see if I could get replacement parts, (good luck!)I realized it was not for me. I was happy to re-sell it.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »
I love my (red Genesis) gas grill too!  It makes a great windbreak for my kettles and WSM when the weather is blasting.   ;-)
Too funny - I do the same thing!

I will say that three burners is minimum - I would like four or six!
And I would agree except that I seem to be able to do pretty well with my 2 burner Silver A. I didn't think it would be enough for general use but it has never been "not big enough" even when I used it for cooking for 60 at a club picnic. (They did not all arrive at the same time so I didn't have to cook for all of them at the same time.)
kettles, smokers...