Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cajun Bandit Rotisserie - Finally got here!!! First Cook  (Read 8256 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Cajun Bandit Rotisserie - Finally got here!!! First Cook
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
I finally took the leap and ordered a Cajun Bandit rotisserie bundle. Can't wait till it gets here!! I'll post pics of my first cook when it comes.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:16:56 PM by Mark Schnell »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Is On the Way
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »

Those rigs are great !!!
Congrats on the decision....

that would probably be my pick for a roto also
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:28:19 PM »
I need one of those. 
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
Congrats! Bring on the pic's.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »
The roti just got here. Man, is that thing nice. Everything is stainless steel and the welds are super smooth. It fits like a glove on the kettle. I bought the version that fits a kettle and a cajun bandit. Chris Perres at Cajun Bandit was very nice to work with and the service was quick too. I'm leaving for a Disney with fam tomorrow so I can't break it in yet. Next week I'll break it in and post pics.

I bought it not only as a roti but also so I could do turkeys and beer can chicken and have enough clearance. I don't like the top of the turkey being a quarter of an inch from the lid or a beer can chicken getting dirty when it touches the lid.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
BTW - I'm a American living in Toronto while I work on my doctorate at the University of Toronto. Chris listed the value as $5 and listed it as a stainless steel bbq part. So no extra duty had to be paid. I've ordered some stuff and then had to pay an extra 25 or 30 bucks for duty when the package arrived. And that's over and above the regular shipping I already paid. So nice one, Chris. Sticking it to the Northern man!! 8)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:25 PM »
Okay, I finally got a chance to break the roti in right. I did a few chickens and a whole pineapple, with sweet potato fries underneath. I didn't use enough charcoal for the cold conditions and it took over an hour and half to cook. I finally had to bring the charcoal baskets underneath the chickens to speed things up. Finished the fries in the oven broiler. This was one of the meals when everything turned out ugly but so tasty we could hardly even stand it!!

BTW - This Cajun Bandit roti is an awesome piece of equipment. That thing seals up TIGHT. The only smoke that was escaping was the vent and a tiny bit from each side where the spit fits. (Also known as a spit hole  ;) ) You can't tell that from this photo because the smoke had settled back down around the grill when I snapped the pic.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:18:06 PM by Mark Schnell »

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
I know how you guys like photos!! The Crate and Barrel Performer really changes color when it gets hot. When it's cold it is a pretty vibrant shade of green, just like a granny smith apple. But when it's hot the color fades to this dull green. This is a pretty good representation of the color, at least on my monitor

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:14:08 PM by Mark Schnell »

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cajun Bandit Rotisserie - Finally got here!!! First Cook
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:21:41 PM »
Very nice.  Any other comments on how it works ?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:10:55 PM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 08:11:46 PM »
Looks fantastic!! I've done chickens. and i've done pineapples. but never at the same time. BRILLIANT.

I freaking LOVE my cajun bandit rotisserie. I had 2 of them until I gave one to Brian.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »
Am I seeing things or does that Pineapple have a smoke ring? Very nice looking birds too..
That has to be a pleasure, having a bbq going woth snow all around..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »
Great pictures and awesome birds and pineapple!  :o

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »
It all looks fantastic!! I hope to score one of those myself one day when the wife isn't looking ;)
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 05:47:03 AM »
Looks great! I've got a a rotisserie that fits my gasser but lack the ring for a kettle. I do have a 55 gal drum and plan to make one some day. Won;t be as pretty as the CB unit I'm sure.
kettles, smokers...

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
Am I seeing things or does that Pineapple have a smoke ring? Very nice looking birds too..
That has to be a pleasure, having a bbq going woth snow all around..  8)

Yeah, it did have a smoke ring. Also, I had cut the skin off before putting it on. But it formed a harder layer on the outside where the pineapple was caramelized. I could have sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar while it was on there but I don't think grilled pineapple needs that. When it is grilled/smoke and served warm it's just like candy. My kids can't eat it fast enough. Next time I'll do two!!