Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Fireplace  (Read 20195 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Weber Fireplace
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
Does anyone here have a Weber Firepit? Weber has discontinued them. You can't buy them anywhere - I checked. Not on Amazon, not at Lowes, not at Home Depot, no place! A local hardware store near my house had one sitting out front for the longest time. That one is gone too. I found another place near my home that has two left in stock. When they are gone, that's it.  I was wondering if I should grab one while I still can? Anyone had problems with one? Any drawbacks? etc. Any thoughts...
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Fireplace
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
I think Ed posted a while back that both the wood and gas fireplaces are discontinued.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »
I think they work great, the lid reflects the heat back to the ground.  That way people can sit around it and feel the heat, it is not escaping up a chimney or opening.  Too bad there discontinued.  Depending on what the store is charging, you might get one for you and sell the other one for more than you paid to start with. 

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
One thing I was particularly curious about was the sand that your supposed to put on the bottom? I never got a clear understanding of why this is necessary? Apparently, some people use sand and others do not? I read somewhere it is supposed to give the pit ballast so it won't blow over? Somewhere else I read it is suppose to act as a barrier between the hot logs and the bottom of the firepit? They say that if you put logs directly on the bottom bowl of the pit it will burn the bottom out after a while? Anyone else heard of this? If you put sand in the bottom of the pit, how would you clean out all the ashes when your done? You would have to dump the ashes with the sand I would think?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »
Sand...I use mine 6-8 times a year for 3-4 years now. It sits outside uncovered the rest of the time.  I have had no probles with wear, or tipping, or high temp. 

One thing I will say is don't use it on your grass.  The heat will radiate down and leave a doughnut shape ring on your lawn.  Right under the pit is protected, so grass stays green, but the reflected heat singes the grass around the pit, in a ring.   

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »
Hey ReillyRanch, do you use sand with yours? Weber says that you must use sand in the bottom. You say that yours sits outside uncovered? What about rain? Does it fill up with water when it rains? You say that the lid radiates heat downward to keep people sitting next to it warm? What about smoke? Does it do the same with smoke? Is everybody that sits around it choking on smoke?

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:36 PM »
It might say fill with sand, but I never got any directions.  I got it after a show, already built, out of the box.  When not in use I take the center ring off, put the lid on the bowl, then put the ring back on top.  Not recomended because the ring looks really rusty now.  I should put it away when not in use so it will last longer.  The smoke can blow out from under the top, but any open fire will have some smoke.  We use seasoned hardwood so there is very little smoke and lots of heat.  Hope that helps.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
I just bought one of these from a local Weber dealer as an early Father's Day gift from my two young sons. ;D I'm awaiting a replacement lid from Weber because the retailer put a big scratch in it at some point, but the lid is already on its way. It has bamboo handles, so I think that means it was made during the last year of production. I'm excited about putting it to good use this summer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:17:44 PM by cbpeck »

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »
I just bought mine today for myself for Father's day.  I just need to buy some sand to put in the bottom of it so I can try it out.

Wayne

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:12:03 PM »
Yea, I think I get the purpose of the sand: reduced, even temperatures cause less stress on the porcelain. I also wonder about using a grate, as I have seen done in a few online photos. Weber recommends sand, so that's probably the way I'll go.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:13:45 PM »
Duplicate post.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:16:29 PM by cbpeck »

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
I just bought one of these from a local Weber dealer as an early Father's Day gift from my two young sons. ;D I'm awaiting a replacement lid from Weber because the retailer put a big scratch in it at some point, but the lid is already on its way. It has bamboo handles, so I think that means it was made during the last year of production. I'm excited about putting it to good use this summer.

You found one? I have been searching online and cannot find one anywhere since they no longer sell them.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
Yes. It had been sitting at a local shop for a year. I have wanted it for a while, but didn't pull the trigger until this week. Unfortunately, the store put a big scratch in its lid while it was waiting for me to get my act together. Fortunately, Weber is sending me a replacement lid. Check the family owned hardware stores that are heavy Weber stockists. You might even ask Weber who in your region may still have one. Manufacturers often know their retailers pretty well and are able to point you in the right direction.

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
Weber Fireplace
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 10:17:43 AM »
I have one. It was a wedding gift that was never used, I bought it off the couple for $50. I love it. Also got a heavy duty cover off eBay for $20.
A Wonderful Family!!!

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
I have one. It was a wedding gift that was never used, I bought it off the couple for $50. I love it. Also got a heavy duty cover off eBay for $20.

Yea, I gotta order one of those covers.