Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Kettle, Second Cook, First Smoke Ever  (Read 2574 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
First Kettle, Second Cook, First Smoke Ever
« on: November 09, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
I found a sweet deal on brisket at GFS over the weekend so I decided to try smoking for the first time.  I used lump coal, peach wood from my peach trees, and a dry rub of salt, paprika, black pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, then yellow mustard with brown sugar on top.  I went 10 hours on the kettle, then rested 2 hours before slicing.  The flat was easy to slice but I couldn't seem to find the grain of the point so it kind of shredded on me.  I think for a first try I had a good smoke ring, awesome bark and good tender juicy meat.  I take constructive criticism pretty well, any tips are appreciated.  Also, if anyone wants to share some dry rub secrets I'm all ears.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:51:02 AM by kettlebb »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Kettle, Second Cook, First Smoke Ever
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »
I've stopped using mustard because I don't think it makes a difference, for me rub tends to stick fine to the surface of the meat. I would also say that brisket doesn't traditionally have a sweet element to it (the brown sugar you added). That said, if you like mustard or sugar with your brisket rub, GO FOR IT, because YOU are the one eating it!

Did you separate the flat and the point before carving? That can help determine which way the grain is running. It's also a good idea to mark or notch an end of the brisket before putting on the rub and cooking, because it's much easier to see the grain in the meat before the bark forms. That way when you pull it off you simply find your notch and go from there.

Welcome to the club! You'll learn a lot here.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
Thanks Austin.  Generally the wife likes sweet over spicy so I "sometimes" stay away from the red pepper or ghost pepper.  I'll remember the notch next time, good call.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
The flat is a really laid back peice of meat and will be your friend no matter what.  The point however is a usually a bit OCD and was probably bothered by the leaves all over your yard.  An agitated is never going to cooperate with you! 

Brisket can be a tricky meat to smoke, slice, etc, so I would say for a first smoke ever, you did amazing.  I like @austin87's suggestion of marking the end(s) to you know which way the grain is going!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
For some reason I can't see your pics, I'll try again later on the desk top.

My go to for brisket rub is Montreal Steak Seasoning, or just salt and pepper if that's all I got.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
For some reason I can't see your pics, I'll try again later on the desk top.

My go to for brisket rub is Montreal Steak Seasoning, or just salt and pepper if that's all I got.

I was thinking I was the only one that couldn't see the pics. Sounds like it turned out pretty well for your first smoke though.
Still need a 22” yellow

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »
I can't see the piks either!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 06:14:42 AM »
Sorry about the viewing of the pics, learning to use the forum.  Right now they are only visible when I'm logged into my Google account.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 06:30:50 AM »
That's weird, the pics were there yesterday. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
My apologies guys, they should be back and here to stay now.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 07:30:54 AM »
Pics look good. Great cook!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »
It looks like a decent cook. I personally prefer what I call Texas style brisket...like most my beef, heavy fresh-ground course pepper and kosher salt...done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »
Way to go...glad you have the bug

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
Great looking brisket. I usually try for burnt ends with my points, but I'll take a shredded point sandwich anytime!

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
The flat is a really laid back peice of meat and will be your friend no matter what.  The point however is a usually a bit OCD and was probably bothered by the leaves all over your yard.  An agitated is never going to cooperate with you! 

Brisket can be a tricky meat to smoke, slice, etc, so I would say for a first smoke ever, you did amazing.  I like @austin87's suggestion of marking the end(s) to you know which way the grain is going!

Are you sure you don't have the cuts flip flopped? The flat is usually the one that is less forgiving.

One trick that people use to find the grain is to find the grain when the meat is bare by cutting into the corner of the point and flat. Once the cook is done you can use that edge as reference.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791