Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Prime 21 day dry aged ribeye  (Read 2612 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Prime 21 day dry aged ribeye
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »
I picked up a 10lb boneless pork shoulder from a great local butcher shop today - it will be turned into ham for a friend's birthday potluck - more on that later.

While I was there I decided to get a dry aged, prime ribeye for dinner:

I just got one for the girlfriend and I to split, we're trying to lose a little weight. I cooked it reverse sear over the vortex

We also had some kale cooked with bacon but that steak deserved the plate to itself for the photo op. It turned out great. The only complaint was that since it was so fatty I had some trouble keeping the flames down during the sear, and there was just a hint of burnt in the crust.

Anyone have any tips for the next go at it?

Thanks for looking.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Prime 21 day dry aged ribeye
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:42:08 PM »
I would say that you are fishing for something about tips, because that looks really good. Probably my favored amount of char.

The way I usually do meat is to flip it before I move it to the sear, because of the fat that accumulates on the top, so that drops off. That way I don't just drop a big load of fat into the coals. Usually more of a factor with burgers than steaks. Anyway, then sear with the lid on. And then peer through the lid vent holes because of my OCD. Or ADD. Or ADHD (high def version). Or because I have to see that the meat isn't burning up.

Your steaks look great, I wish that I could start with the raw product in your pic. The best butcher I know sells great ribeye at $19 a pound and it doesn't look that good.

I suspect kale might be an issue...

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:56 AM »
I think I want one now for breakfast!! Great work
SMOKE THIS!!

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »
That got my mouth watering. My favorite cut of beef
C&B Blue Performer

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:45:41 AM »
looks really good. The dry aging does wonders to a rib eye steak. That cut would set you back around 25/lb at my local butcher. Looks like you cooked it well!
Hotty Toddy!

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:10:06 AM »
Looks amazing!

How do you prepare kale?
I'm growing it in the garden and don't know how to cook with it

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
@Bruce_Frost kale is kind of tough so it takes a little while to cook but it's one of my favorites.

I strip the leaves off the stems and cut everything into bite sized pieces. Then I saute the stems (which a lot of people throw away) in butter or olive oil (or even better a little bacon grease from the bacon bits that will go into the kale - you can skip bacon on a health kick) with a little bit of water or broth or to soften them up a bit. Then I'll throw in some garlic/onion, and once they start to soften add the chopped leaves with a little more broth. Lightly cover so the broth steams and softens the leaves, stirring every couple of minutes until mostly wilted and grind some pepper over the top. If you like spicy you can add some red pepper flakes when you add the garlic and onions. Sometimes if I have a lemon lying around I'll squeeze that over the top just before serving. It's really good.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
If you simmer kale forever it gets as soft as spinach!  Just takes a while.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
Your steaks look great, I wish that I could start with the raw product in your pic. The best butcher I know sells great ribeye at $19 a pound and it doesn't look that good.

@Jon I think it was $25-30/lb (the reason why I got one steak weighing in at just under a pound for my girlfriend and I to split!). I would rather have a smaller great steak than a larger one that's not as good, and it's better for my waistline. The butcher shop is one of the places where the meat is kept in glass case with oxygen. When you get meat in a bag and it's a little brown it will turn more red with exposure to air. I always lightly salt my steaks at least an hour before cooking and put on a rack in the fridge so air can circulate all around it. This pic was taken after getting air exposure for a couple of hours which helps with that bright red color. And it was prime beef, so the marbling/fat content is supposed to be in the top 2% of all graded beef.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 11:16:57 AM »
I don't think that I've come across a place here that sells prime to the public, it goes to the restaurants. My butcher has very tasty beef, but I think that it is all choice. I was looking at the Wagyu-like marbling on your beef.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
It looks like the main fat lines even have marbling in it!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 01:47:49 PM »
Dude that steak looks phenomenal

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »
Looks incredible Austin! It's amazing how the quality of the meat makes a difference with steak. I got some t-bones from a local organic farm, all I used was salt and pepper, best steak I've ever had. I just don't have the money for it all the time...

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
Very nice cook! I think you've done very well, but if it's got a little more char than you prefer just flip it a little faster next time. Rib eyes are fatty, not much you can do about that, fat and fire is gonna burn.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
That thing looks amazing!  What are your impressions of the Vortex.  I've kicked around getting one, but wondered if I would truly use it or find it to be more of a gimmick.  That steak is definitely helping sell it though.