Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Not Good. At All.  (Read 4926 times)

micky

• Smokey Joe
Re: Not Good. At All.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 10:09:12 PM »
The magnet seems like a great stop-gap solution. Thanks so much for that!  I will follow your suggestions and place a WTB post for a replacement bowl.  Does it need to be from another Platinum?  Or would a Performer bowl also fit with the Platinum frame?   Thanks very much.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 12:16:33 AM »
The magnet seems like a great stop-gap solution. Thanks so much for that!  I will follow your suggestions and place a WTB post for a replacement bowl.  Does it need to be from another Platinum?  Or would a Performer bowl also fit with the Platinum frame?   Thanks very much.
The Platinum and Performer bowl are the same, the Gas assist Performer has a hole in it for the burner tube, the Non gas Assist Performer and Platinum bowls are the same.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 03:14:49 AM »
@micky If you decide to repair the damage, the post above have some good ideas.

If you decide to replace the bowl, You have (at least) two options here:

Door # 1. as stated above : seek a replacement bowl from a non gas assist performer or one touch platinum

or door number two...

Lets say you find a performer with a bowl for a good price, you may find you like the performer as a whole better then your OTP. OTP carts are great platforms for projects. You can build up a base on the lower wire rack and place a WSM on the base and now you have a WSM cart with table!

Bottom line, you have options either way here so keep your mind open as you move forward.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 08:10:01 AM »
Okay.  Thank you, 1911Ron – now I know I can look for either Performer or Platinum kettles or both.   

And CharliefromLI, I’m thinking like you.  I will get the magnet (thx gummi bear) and use it “as is” for now.  Meanwhile my eyes will be peeled for a great SS Performer (in which case my current Platinum/cart will find a new home) or a good Performer / Platinum kettle in a good color.  Luckily I have deployable friends in a lot of different CL areas!   

Got a new grill grate over the weekend, before discovering the holes – the Gourmet BBQ grate with the removable circle center.  It looks good and feels hefty.  I plan to use the grill for wok stir fries as well as for grilling, so this is a good accessory for me.  Also got a new chimney.  So all in all, I’m feeling good and looking forward to my maiden voyage on this grill.

Many thanks to everyone who offered information and advice here; it was all a great help.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 06:55:12 PM »
I don't think that the Platinum is a Touch-n-Go model.  That being the case, ANY black One-Touch bowl could solve your problem.  That's roughly 9 million old used kettles with big dented lids that sell everywhere for $5 to $20 almost everywhere.  Hacksaw a little here, nip a little there and "Bob's Your Uncle, Fanny's Your Aunt" you've solved your problem.  'Til then, cook steak, burgers, skewered foods (like shrimp), stir-fry  ...  need I go on ???  Remember; "Life's an outdoor cook on an open grill."                       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 07:04:53 PM »
Thanks for that SmokenJoe.  But you have more confidence in my abilities than i do.  I'm not at all equipped to saw or otherwise manhandle a bowl that's not intended to fit my cart!  I'm unlikely to be able to finesse a 3-legged bowl onto my cart -- the tripodded kettles dont have the flat connecting tabs that are used to attach thebowl to a cart, right?  So I'm keeping eyes open for a performer or platinum bowl, i guess.  Or the coveted SS performer ...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 08:14:48 PM »
Thanks for that SmokenJoe.  But you have more confidence in my abilities than i do.  I'm not at all equipped to saw or otherwise manhandle a bowl that's not intended to fit my cart!  I'm unlikely to be able to finesse a 3-legged bowl onto my cart -- the tripodded kettles dont have the flat connecting tabs that are used to attach thebowl to a cart, right?  So I'm keeping eyes open for a performer or platinum bowl, i guess.  Or the coveted SS performer ...
You are spot on no need to over complicate it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......