Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first vintage kettle  (Read 3552 times)

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
My first vintage kettle
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
I'd been eyeing it for a few weeks and after a quickly agreed upon price that couldn't be passed up(in my humble non expert opinion ) I am now the proud owner of what I'm nearly sure is a 69 or 70 black 22" kettle (the Texan right?). It needs some work obviously. I plan on restoring it, or at least attempting, next week while on vacation. Any thoughts? I've read that Pam could bring the black back into the porcelain. I seriously thought it was grey till I did my homework. My only real area of concern is the backside of the wheels are rusted through. No dents, dings, or rust on the bowl or lid. Handle needs help for sure. I'm pretty excited about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:07:13 PM by weldboy »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: My first vintage kettle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:27:56 PM »
Looks great!! I love those faded blacks.
I personally wouldn't hit it with Pam.....ya can't buy that faded vintage grey look
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 03:33:45 PM »
You got a great kettle! some cleaning and straightening of vent handles and you'll be set!  Spraying Pam on it and heating it up will darken it up again but some say it doesn't last i wouldn't know as i haven't done it myself, i just heard of others doing it. If it were mine i would leave it like it is, but it's yours so do as you like, it will look great either way.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
She's pretty. Not gonna take much to clean up. I'd leave her grey.
Still need a 22” yellow

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »
Welcome to the club @weldboy! Damn nice find there!

Like others have said I'd leave the grey, from what I've gathered there's no permanent fix for that. But it doesn't look like it'll take much to get that grill up and cooking.

I've been working on restoring some 60's eras wheels too, based on this thread http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/removing-rust/

After a couple of days soak you might be surprised how they come out.

Good luck and keep us posted on the restore and cooks!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Thanks for all the advice and kind words guys. I am addicted to this vintage stuff now! The history and subtle differences are so much fun to look for, I have seriously never gone so crazy over a hobby I've taken up!

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 04:22:23 PM »
@WNC the wheels look like they would clean up on the front side but, they are actually rusted completely through to nothing on the rear, thought about maybe sealing them and maybe using fiberglass to fill the holes?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
I love my Texans!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-chicago-texan-moves-to-arizona!-or-what-sort-of-mess-have-i-gotten-myself-into/msg143073/#msg143073

Here is a thread about my Texan restoration. You can really see what the EvapoRust can do. I did oil my bowl and lid because it had a lot of "freckles", little bare metal spots. The oil turns dull quickly, but can be freshened up when you want it to be.
Whatever you decide, you will love this old grill!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

I love my Texans!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-chicago-texan-moves-to-arizona!-or-what-sort-of-mess-have-i-gotten-myself-into/msg143073/#msg143073

Here is a thread about my Texan restoration. You can really see what the EvapoRust can do. I did oil my bowl and lid because it had a lot of "freckles", little bare metal spots. The oil turns dull quickly, but can be freshened up when you want it to be.
Whatever you decide, you will love this old grill!

Very cool

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:32:18 PM »
That's too cool! Like the others said, i kinda dig the weathered grey look.
Awesome score

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »
Real nice find! Keep us posted

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:42 PM »
That is one beautiful ding-free MBH PAT Pending kettle, congrats on the find.  Your kettle has a very even fade, no splotches or whatnot.  I'd leave if faded, that's a really nice grey tone.                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 10:09:55 PM »
Sweet!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ