Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MOD MONTH 2015! Official Master Thread  (Read 28691 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
MOD MONTH 2015! Official Master Thread
« on: September 12, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »

Yes, it's that time of year again! Well, almost...October is Mod Month #2 at WKC, and this year it's going to be even crazier gooder. Time to rob your bone yard, dial up your curb alert radar, experiment like a mad-mod-man and come up with more amazing kettle kreations like only WKC can. The rules are simple. No, wait, there are no stinkin' rules. Bring it on. Show us what you got. If you posted a mod earlier in the year, show us again. Just remember to post it in this thread in October. Remember last year?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mod-month-official-master-thread!/

Well, you ain't seen nothing yet!

And to get the party started, here's a simple kreation of mine that might get your juices flowin' and your motor runnin':

Thanks to three (count 'em - 3!) generous members over the past two years, and inspired by @Jeff with his amazing Burgundy 22.5WSM, I was finally able to come up with a simple solution to the dreaded "My damn WSM 'ain't got no wheels!" affliction. Thanks to @mike.stavlund for being the agent of a fine 18.5WSM a while back, @Thin Blue Smoke for a spare WSM bowl section, and @dwnthehatch for the Platinum cart, I had everything I needed to make my smokin' life easier, Well, almost everything. Thanks to a local blacksmith, (the real deal) I had a pair of brackets made up from 14ga SS to match the cart mounting locations, with welded and drilled tabs to mount to the bowl. Easy-peasy. The results speak for themselves.

You might notice a couple of SS drawer knobs on the mid section, uses the same hole for the grate bracket, and is just enough to make it easier to lift the section off when needed.

And, yes, I had a couple more sets of brackets made. If anyone is interested I can sell you a pair for $40 shipped.

So that's it - start thinking, wrenching, bolting, welding and buffing. October 1st is right around the corner. The thread will close at midnight on Halloween night!

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
Re: MOD MONTH 2015! Official Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
do you think those brackets will work on a 22
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:36 AM »
Here is my mod submission, thanks!!

I took a Weber Performer Silver and converted it to a WSM cart.

Flattened out the bottom wire rack

Cut a piece of wood to fit on the bottom rack and spray painted it black

Put the wire rack back in the cart and inserted the painted wood base

The height is PERFECT when the WSM is in the cart. The lid is just above the table.

Here it is in action  ;D My favorite thing is the fact I can roll the cart around with ease and I have a work table for thermometers and a place to hang utensils. It's also very easy to open the door to knock around the coals if need be.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
do you think those brackets will work on a 22

Nope - but I can get my guy to make ones that will. He would rather make multiples once he has things set up, so if enough are interested I can probably make it happen.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 09:07:35 AM »
Leave it to @gunner to jump the gun...ner   ;) And I love that mod by the way...

No worries if you post early, but the official start is October 1. Unofficial early entries automatically become official then. (That's not officially a rule.) 

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »
Leave it to @gunner to jump the gun...ner   ;) And I love that mod by the way...

No worries if you post early, but the official start is October 1. Unofficial early entries automatically become official then. (That's not officially a rule.)

Crap, sorry! Totally jumped the gun!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
Love it @gunner
Still need a 22” yellow

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
Great job on the brackets.   Love the WSM in the performer silver cart.  Great work guys!  Looking forward to October

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
heres a mod from last year that doesn't  exist any more

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 01:50:58 PM »
heres another

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 07:04:06 AM »
@MartyG have you cooked on that thing yet? How do you put meat of the bottom grate with out standing on a chair? very clean/professional looking job.
Hotty Toddy!

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »

heres another
Is that a charcoal turned gasser or is the gas just to start the charcoal like the performer?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »
@MartyG have you cooked on that thing yet? How do you put meat of the bottom grate with out standing on a chair? very clean/professional looking job.

Thanks @Tommy B I'm 6'3", so the current height is just about right. I can reach down to the lower grate easy enough when stacked, but can load it up on the ground and lift the center section onto the bowl too. The door is at the perfect height now, and that's a consideration. @Jeff built a 22.5 on a cart like this and it's even higher. I can always trim the legs if I feel like it, but I don't think I'll need to do that. I'll measure it this weekend and pass along the numbers so you can get a feel.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:21:12 AM »
MOD MONTH STARTS TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!

I can hear the gears turning...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:23:34 AM by MartyG »