Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help needed with performer 22  (Read 3128 times)

BaruleK

• Happy Cooker
Help needed with performer 22
« on: August 20, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
Hello

I have a weber performer 22". Since I am new at kettke grilling I need help because I have problem with temperature in charcoal grill.

I only use original weber charcoal briquette "long lasting".  I start a fire in chimney starter. I left charcoal in for about 45 minutes.  After that I put it in a grill, close it down and wait for 5-10 minutes all wents ( bottom and toop ) are all the time fully oppened.   After that time I open the lid and I  start  griling, but it doesnt matter if it is dirct or indirect methode my temperature start dropping. If I cook  an indirect  methode first temerature is around 210 C, and it start dropping so after 30 minutes there is only 160-170C!!. than I must use a gas burner to heat the briquetts!!!

What si wrong?  I looked a lot of tis articles youtube ect...   i am sory but mine local dealer wont help me. He just say it is nothing wrong you just dont know how to do it!

Please help

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Help needed with performer 22
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »
Once your charcoal is ashed over pour it out and put your lid on to heat up the grill for a few minutes.  Once it is heated up grill away!

Something i do is i will put a layer of unlit charcoal down first then put my lit on top and let it come up to temp, this way i can cook for an extended time with out loosing heat so fast. Hope this helps and ask any other questions you may have.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

BaruleK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:59:41 AM »
I can try but I dont understand why charcoal is cooling down with all wents open?

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:00:26 AM »
You are leaving the coals burning too long in the chimney. By the time you dump them they are used up. Ten minutes max on the gas assist then dump coals.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

BaruleK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 04:35:14 AM »
Mybe but it is special weber coal that is selled in europe and it is long lasting it say 240 min.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 05:19:18 AM »
45 minutes in a chimney to long for any charcoal.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 07:11:33 AM »
@BaruleK
So, you're dealer is right, you don;t know what you're doing. Now that we've cleared that up... LOL
Like others have said, 45 minutes is too long to wait..Your coals are dying the minute they are lit.
Here's what I do.. Fill the chimney half way. Light it up.. Then put some unlit in the bottom of your baskets..
After about 5 minutes and the lit is going strong, pour it over the 2 baskets. Nice and even..
Wait a few more minutes and then put your lid on.
Do you have a grill thermometer?  It helps to know how hot your grill is, but its not really necessary..
Depending on what your cooking, you can adjust your bottom vents to adjust the temp.
Just don't expect to have it change very rapidly.
Regulating temps and playing with fire is an art that requires some practice.
Have you read the Weber manual? Believe it or not, they give lots of good tips.
Depending on what temp you are cooking at, maintaining it is fairly easy..
My best advice is to start simple and Practice as often as you can.
Before you know it, you'll be burning food with the best of us.
Enjoy!   8)

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 07:32:38 AM »
Barule,

240 mins is start to finish.  From when you first touch fire to the charcoal and it starts to burn until the end when the last bit of heat from an individual coal burns out.  Picture a hill:

Bottom left is when your first put fire to the chimney.   The guy on top is peak heat.  Hill should be just a bit flatter at the top, but that's ok, it works well enough for this illustration.   ifthe guy walks to the right a little bit, he'll start walking down hill.  That's when your temperature starts going down.

At 45 minutes in the Chimney, your coals are already on the down slope of the hill and are losing temperature. 

BTW, this is a simple illustration, what really happens is a bit more complex.  Basically, the coals in your chimney light up at different times.  Coals at the bottom catch quicker and are probably burnt out by the time you dump your chimney.    As others have said, dump it earlier.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »
It sounds like your performer has gas assist.  If that is the case, use that and forget the chimney starter, although that is good as well.  When I am grilling a steak and potatoes for example, I put the charcoal in the baskets, light using the gas assist for 10 minutes, then turn off the gas and close the lid with all vents open and the potatoes on the side for indirect grilling.  After 30 minutes, the coals are blazing white hot, and I direct grill my steaks to get a good sear, then move them to the side for indirect grilling for a few minutes again.  I know this is not how everyone does it, but essentially at this point, I have only had the coals going for about an hour or so, before my meal is completed.  Overall, what I am saying, try to take advantage of your gas assist if you have a performer. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

BaruleK

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
OK thank you all I will try it that way. But the way I describe it is the way mine distributor told me. He said that these charcoal is hard to light.  And ofcourse it is briquetts

BaruleK

• Happy Cooker

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
@BaruleK 

Here's what RON is describing in his reply:

Unlit charcoal in first:

Some lit up on top:

Wait a short time for it to catch on good:

Cook:

This was very hot, 525f to start up.............

The illustration of the mountain is good also.....you can extend the time at the same general heat by adding UN-lit coals.......if your temperature is dropping some or you want to use higher heat, add LIT coals to the pile......

Baskets can be good for concentrating heat in a small area, but they can also constrict the airflow some & cause the fire to decrease sometimes....try both ways (baskets & no Baskets) & see what is best for different types of cooking.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"