Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When Steel Wool Goes Wrong  (Read 5810 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
When Steel Wool Goes Wrong
« on: August 19, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »
Some of you may know that I got a real nice Black MLH from Harris last week.

When I got it I noticed this:

There was some brownish residue under the lid vent but save for a small amount of hard black greasy buildup on the inside of the rear handle this Kettle had been extensively cleaned. I contacted Harris and he received the Kettle this way. Got a Black 18 OTG a while ago and it had not been flushed of oven cleaner....it took much effort to remove it. I tried warm water on a rag to remove the apparent foreign material but all I got was a smell of oven cleaner....so I was thinking oven cleaner residue was over the lid. Harris suggested liquid Bar Keeper's Friend applied with a soft tooth brush.

I first tried the Bar Keepers with a tooth brush, rinsing after a minute and flushing. Did this a few times in the same area and no change.

Then tried standard 0000 steel wool with liquid soap on a wet portion of the lid. No change.

Then I tried 0000 steel wool with Bar Keepers on a wet portion. No change.

Lastly I tried straight Bar Keepers on a small portion of the lid......a small change in the apparent residue. It looked good. Next I did a larger portion.....not pressing hard at all, about 45 seconds, rinsed and flushed then dried. Stood back and started swearing. I had removed something alright....the area I had just cleaned now looked different than the rest of the Kettle....it did not match up at all....the depth of the Black was different.

Using Pam gives me a even look....though fake. Here is a shot of the lid after using Pam. I had the Kettle coming to clean smoke for 30 minutes or so and the Pam had thinned enough to notice where I used the damn fucking steel wool:

When this happened I asked Harris to please keep this between us. He graciously agreed. Guys I am beside myself but I gotta share my foolishness in hopes one of you can learn from this. Right now I just want to punch myself in the face....repeatedly.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: When Steel Wool Goes Wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 04:37:51 PM »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 04:53:11 PM »
The older kettles have a different sort of porcelain coating.  It can be damaged with steel wool.  The black seems to be the weakest.  I found it best to leave them alone....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »
@MrHoss   Enjoy the kettle Hoss.  Look at that lid and bowl (virtually chip free).

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »
  Mr Hoss

If you want to try and bring it back :) here's what I do

Spray the entire lid with butter flavored Pam and let it get tacky about  3-4 days or so , then take a clean dry cloth and work the Pam/Oil in by hand working in circles. Spray again and leave it for several months , in a dark dry place out of the sun.

I did this to a B code that was badly faded. It not  only brought the color back it lasted despite using the grill.

I can't make any promises and sometimes it's best to leave things alone,  I just feel bad for you and wanted to help .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
That sucks buddy but thanks for owning up and sharing the mistake for us all to learn from. Those oldies do have a slightly less durable finish on them, and the combo of the barkeeps and steel wool for that long must have been just a bit too much. I find that if a blemish doesn't come off after its cleaned right up and then hit with the steel wool for even a few seconds that more than likely its there for good.

Thankfully you didn't go all the way down to shiny metal, and it seems to hide quite well. It certainly doesn't jump out at you when look at the kettle and most prob wouldn't even notice it. That's still a real gem man - accept it and love it for what it is... a SWEET kettle. 8) 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about that. I have to be careful when cleaning my red Wood Dale MLH. I got a couple very light scratch hairlines on one side of my lid the first time I tried to 0000 the lid. I find anything pre mid 60s has the "weaker" porcelain. That black is still a sweet looking Texan! Cook on it, love it!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 06:52:49 AM »
OGM Hoss, I know you and I know how particular(anal) you are about your kettles.  If that scratch on the wood dale is just too much for you, I will take it off of your hands...   :)

Seriously, it is still a beautiful specimen.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »
Don't want to tell you i told you so . 0000 was recommended to me Here [emoji44]. Posted I will not use it again.

I feel your pain

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:11:46 AM »
Don't want to tell you i told you so . 0000 was recommended to me Here [emoji44]. Posted I will not use it again.

I feel your pain

@Jack Fate

Just on the older ones.......the coating is a little different & maybe just because it's 'older' also......any one from the mid-70's on up should be fine with 0000 & soapy water........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »
Oh man....I would beat the snot out of myself for a while, too.....but it's still a real beauty. Like most here I'd love to have it in the stable!

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 11:19:41 AM »
I used Bar Keepers Friend Soft Cleanser on the outside of my porcelain coated lodge grill pan. I applied it with a soft dish sponge on the bottom of the pan but not on the sides. I let it sit for approximately one minute then rinsed it off. Check out the color change in the porcelain enamel, especially where the cleanser dripped over the sides. It says it's ok for porcelain right on the bottle. I soaked the pan in warm water with dawn dish soap for 30 minutes with no change in the fading. I'm wondering if the oxalic acid is the culprit and not the 0000 steel wool

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »

I feel your pain

@Jack Fate

Just on the older ones.......the coating is a little different & maybe just because it's 'older' also......any one from the mid-70's on up should be fine with 0000 & soapy water........
[/quote

Sorry but I can't agree. Mine were 90's and early 2000 models & I made sure the surface was always wet. Now have cobwebs.
But cooking is unharmed [emoji106]

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »
Ok. I really don't want to think about this but I will.

I believe it was the combination of 0000 steel wool and Bar Keepers. Here's why.

Read the progression of steps I did....it included soapy steel wool on a wet Kettle AND Harris's suggested method. I did not do any of those steps very long, rinsed well, dried and VERY carefully checked the spot before proceeding. I saw no change until I used the combo....I was outside in full sun looking mighty carefully.

First time was maybe 20 seconds tops and on a small area....I thought this was GOOD....it wasn't at all. Thinking I had removed some sort of buildup I make the small area bigger...oh shit........and did it about 45 seconds before promptly hitting it with water. Near as I can tell what I thought was buildup was in fact an uneven fade. I know from experience that dried on oven cleaner takes forever to remove with elbow grease,steel wool and soap.

@LightningBoldtz - yeah..........I am kind of particular or anal....so this is making me twist for sure. I am hoping Idahawk's fix helps. The Kettle looks amazing when Pam is on it...I haven't put anything on the bowl and just a little on the lid evens out the black.

MacEggs sent me this:

Bloody ass-hat!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:11:11 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
When Steel Wool Goes Wrong
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »
Nothing like getting the boots put to you when your down !
Here's mine
I scored a really nice 1950s Kenmore wood fired griddle stove combo for $50.00 and found a buyer for $250.00 . The buyer came over and I grabbed the handtruck and wheeled it out for them to look at. They loved it slapped the cash in my hand and I went to wheel it to there truck I dropped it and busted it all to hell . I handed them their money back and they drove away while I stood there with a heap of shit in my driveway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:35:10 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs