Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I never thought I'd own a gas grill  (Read 4337 times)

Hofy

• WKC Brave
I never thought I'd own a gas grill
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »
I never thought I'd own a gas grill until today. 
My wife took the garbage up to the dumpsters this afternoon.
She came back kind of excited and told me there was a Weber up at the dumpsters.  It is gas do you want it, she asked.
Hell,yeah!  It's a Weber, I am sure I can use it for some of the parts if nothing else.
I was shocked when I seen it sitting there.  It looked like new other than the grime and grease.  I can only guess that one of the seasonal residents upgraded to a new bigger more gooder grill, or was leaving for the year and didnt want to drag it back home.(We live next to a resort of camping trailers and share most of the services with them.)

Judging from the molding stamp on the inside of the handle (8/00) I am guessing this is a 2000 or 2001 Weber Genesis Silver A.  No tank, but I have one for my camp stove that can pull double duty.
It looks as if has been covered its entire life.  The plastic table is in good shape with full color and the only rust is a bit on one of the legs at the joint near the ground.
I'll be spending the next couple of weeks cleaning it and getting it ready to cook on.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:01:03 PM by Hofy »
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Cochise

• WKC Brave
Re: I never thought I'd own a gas grill
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »
Nice find! I love the blue tops.
SMOKE THIS!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
very nice little gas grills.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:31:41 PM »
It's a Weber.
It's Blue.
It's not charcoal.

https://youtu.be/k5hWWe-ts2s
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:09:59 AM »
Well, I did some poking around on the Genesis this morning.  I found the serial number and it is a DA (2001).
So far the only thing that looks like it needs replacing is the Flavorizer bars.

The grates are filthy but solid

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 06:21:28 AM »
Well, I did some poking around on the Genesis this morning.  I found the serial number and it is a DA (2001).
So far the only thing that looks like it needs replacing is the Flavorizer bars.

Hofy,

Looking at those flavorizer bars, while they are aging, they are far from needing a replacement.,  move them around, but the best ones over the burners.

Save your money and do not replace until they have rotted out or you are getting unnecessary flare ups.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »

Hofy,

Looking at those flavorizer bars, while they are aging, they are far from needing a replacement.,  move them around, but the best ones over the burners.

Save your money and do not replace until they have rotted out or you are getting unnecessary flare ups.
What he said. Plenty of life left in those bars.
When they finally do give up, get the SS ones from rcplanebuyer on ebay.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
Thanks for the info on the bars guys.  I am cheap so the less money I spend the better!   I just need to clean this grill up so I can cook on it a few times to determine if it is a keeper first.  (I am sure I will end up keeping it.)

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:25:53 AM »
I only had a few minutes this morning to do another examination of this gasser.

First off, I need some  way to mount the propane tank to the grill.  The original scale is missing and I really do not want to pay close to $30 for a replacement.  Anyone have any ideas?

Second, the flavorizer bars are shot.  Once I removed the grates and pulled them out they started crumbling in my hands.  Easy fix, I already have a set on my eBay watch list from rcplanebuyer.

The gas tubes look clean and solid so I should be ok there.

I did find some rust on the lower frame, but it looks like minor surface rust that should clean right up and be taken care of with some paint.

How easy do you think it is going to be to exchange this propane tank?  :o

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:57:46 AM »
I picked up a fresh propane tank on the way home last night and hooked it up.  The burners fired up on the first try and had perfect flames.
I did a 20 high heat burn this morning and maxed out the thermometer.   Getting ready to take the whole grill apart this weekend for a deep cleaning.