Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood handle help  (Read 1747 times)

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Wood handle help
« on: August 09, 2015, 11:42:47 PM »
Need to know what's the best way to restore/rejuvenate a dried up handle. Any preferred oils ect??? I want to keep the handles on Fonzie and on the Cado I just picked up since they're complete but really dried out. I'll probably replace Fonzies' with a new WKC handle once the double screws are available. It would be nice to ad a link in the restoration section if there's one available...Thanks everyone     
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:58:06 PM by Scott Zee »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Wood handle help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 01:44:44 AM »
You can try anything from Watco Teak oil to cutting board oil to Spar Varnish. You'd be surprised how nicely some of the dried out ones come back to life with a good coat or two.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:41:59 AM »
I like to smooth out the wood first with 0000 steel wool.  I find sandpaper removes too much wood.  YMMV

Then apply tung oil as per the instructions.  Then finish with a few coats of spar.

If you want to get it nice and dark, then maybe a coloured Danish oil instead of tung oil, then finish with spar.

Post up your results.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »
Below are some pics of one I cleaned up.  As MacEggs said, I hit the handle with some steel wool to clean it up and leave as much of the wood  as possible intact.  I didn't have any oils around so I went with a walnut stain followed by two coats of spar varnish.  I've never used any of the oils mentioned above, but I am pretty happy with how this one came out.

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:46 AM »
Go cheap, Mineral Oil, we should all be using it to treat our wood/bamboo cutting boards also
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

shouston

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »
I also use Mineral Oil, after a rub-down with steel wool, and get great results.
I use it on my bamboo cutting board, too.
"Of course, when I talk about how much it costs to RRR the old Weber, I don't count the new cover and the upgrade grill grate, right? They were added after the first use, so they don't count.
Now I need a red one."