Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: temp management using vents  (Read 5188 times)

EricD

• WKC Brave
temp management using vents
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:07:58 AM »
Curious how many of you guys use the top vent for temp management.  I read somewhere to keep the top vent wide open and use the bottom vent to adjust the temps.  I've done low and slow and hot and fast cooks using this theory with good results.  But I read a post earlier that someone had suggesting closing the top vents to keep the heat up.
So, what is your 'rule of thumb' for temp control?
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
Re: temp management using vents
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »
I'm curious to hear about this too.  Have always read to keep the top wide open to prevent stale smoke from building up.  But better temp control is always good

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:27:56 AM »
Weber 1958 brochure.....courtesy BBQ Miller.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/1958-weber-bar-b-q-kettle-grill-12-page-original-brochure/

"Damper in cover always remains open when cooking"

It's the way they were designed, but people do crimp down the lid vent sometimes....
I rarely do, 'cause I want the fire to exhaust clean.......choking down the burn from above can lead to a sluggish fire & creosote buildup......certain circumstances, like when moving from high heat to a high-medium heat, it can be helpful.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »
Hmm, when I click your link it takes me to a post about a happy cooker...  Odd!  I'll try from my computer later.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »
Odd, here's the title & it works fine here......

1958 WEBER BAR-B-Q KETTLE GRILL 12-page original brochure

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 06:35:32 AM »
Must be a Tapatalk fluke.  Works when I cut and paste it.  Thanks Buckie!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
When I'm just straight up grilling I keep the top vents wide open.  When I'm smoking on the kettle that's a different story.  They get adjust as needed then, some times it's just too windy, or too something else, and those top vents a long with the bottom ones need to be adjusted to dial in the temp I want. 

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:29 AM »
@1buckie That brochure is pretty cool!  Nice find. Thanks.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:34:44 AM »
Top vent always wide open whether low and slow smoking or hot and fast.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 08:27:25 AM »
I keep the top vent at least half open, and always more open than the bottom vent - it's my untested theory as long as the fire can exhaust faster than air can be pulled in through the lower vent that you won't get creosote buildup. It's not uncommon (for me) for the lower vent to be about 1/4 open and the top vent to be 1/2 open while trying to keep temps down down in the 250ish range when doing a minion setup.

Yes in an ideal world the top vent is full open all the time, but I find sometimes it helps keeps temps low if it's slightly choked.

ckf

• Happy Cooker
    • Backwoods BBQ
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 08:56:02 AM »
I always keep my top vent wide open and use the bottom vent to adjust temperature.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
Huh!  I've been doing it backasswards!  I've been keeping the damper open about a quarter and adjusting the temp with the top vent.  I'll have to give it a whirl the other way around.  Live and learn.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 11:32:13 AM »
things like that ^ are why I love this site!  Always something new to learn!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »
definitely try to keep top vent open as much as possible

for low and slow, sometimes i'll close it 1/4 (still 3/4 open) - but that's the max unless there's an emergency.

for grilling, always wide open.

creosote happens when the fire is over choked, this can happen from exhaust build up, or lack of oxygen (essentially the same thing)
The best way to prevent is keep lit fuel to a minimum, and let exhaust out as quickly and cleanly as possible.

I run my WSM clone with the bottom vents nearly completely closed and top vents completely open.
If the temps get too hot (if i start with too much lit, or if i keep the lid off for too long), I have no choice but to choke the fire buy cutting off the exhaust. Although I'd rather just let it run hot than do that.
This is why i run with an empty water pan. If shit gets out of control, i can add water mid-cook to bring temps down without choking the coals.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »
in my experience,I use the bottom vents for temp management, and the tops for air movement,

Now having said that, they both affect each other, so you need to do some experiments

as always I say, keep notes of every cook, then after reading them you can make changes, and have a record of what changes. After a few cooks it becomes natural.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline