Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Junior Restore  (Read 29117 times)

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis Junior Restore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 06:11:40 AM »
Never saw one like that.  It is really a neat looking grill.  Can't wait to see what it looks like when your finished with it.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
Hey Marty
Here's some motivation for you.  If this character thinks he can get 1K for this...yours will certainly be off the scale when you're done!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Genisis-JUNIOR-Grill-Scarce-Rare-vintage-1988-/291513045081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43df881059
Kettle collector AND cooker!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
And it's in PA too! Maybe the guy will take the same $30 I gave for mine.  ;D  Meanwhile, I was able to get the hood apart thanks to the tip from @swamprb . The restore has begun…
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:30:37 PM by MartyG »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »
And here's a quick comparison between Jr. and Sr.:

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »
Nice work!

Here is the first Junior that graced my deck. This one had been to Japan and Great Britain with the previous owners. Basically all it needed was some elbow grease and it worked great.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »
Wow, the hood looks amazing.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 05:25:21 AM »
@MartyG  Sorry I am late to the party on tips and tricks! I was gonna suggest a grinder but it looks like you figured it out.
I polish my burners with some emery paper.. Yours look to be in good condition.
And yeah, I don't how we ended up here either..
In a Galaxy far far away...
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »
One of the things we've all faced with these frames (and Performers are included) is the rusted out star nuts in the cross members. This frame was no exception, but I came up with an easy solution. Using a long piece of 5/8" threaded rod, I found that a 5/8" washer is the exact size to fit inside the tube, and center the rod when you replace it. Presuming the star nuts are gone, sandwich a washer between two nuts, making sure there is enough thread on the end to fit through the cross member and allow an acorn nut on the outside.

Place the entire rod into the tube, and thread another two nuts and a washer onto the other end the same way. See how it fits into the tube? Cool!

Once the frame is together, put a temporary nut on the excess end and cut to length. FYI - you will need to enlarge the holes in the frame for the rod, it's just a little bigger than the original.

Then just back the temp nut off, add the acorn nut (I used a sealing washer) and that's it! Solid as a rock.

I did not repaint the frame as it was in pretty good shape. I did replace all the hardware with stainless.

Working on the fire box and end panels now, but they are slow going. Might resort to media blasting if I can find someone local. Should come together quickly after that. I'm excited!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:58:15 PM by MartyG »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »
@MartyG  @pbe gummi bear
I agree your frame solution is totally doable and acceptable, but I thought you were doing a restoration?
Why not just use new star nuts?  We have seen that repair made and its not too hard.
Just throwing it out there for those who would like it to be original..

Soda blasting would probably be best.  The firebox is so porous and regular media basting or sand blasting may be too harsh.. I would like to see the ice blasting in action, I hear its amazing..

Eagerly following this restoration..
 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 10:35:22 PM »
In this case I think Marty makes a fine upgrade to the frame crossmembers. The more I think about it I would actually prefer Marty's method for a no-weld fix. Parts would also be more readily available.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2015, 02:22:52 AM »
@Heyjude Not going for a 100 point restoration as I do not plan to show it at the upcoming concours d'kettle.  ;)  I plan to replace all the wood, and that alone could keep me off the podium I suppose.  :-\ Thanks for the blasting tip, I'll ask about the soda/ice bleating thing you mentioned. The end panels cleaned up pretty good, but the main box has some really baked in crud going on. There goes another 10 points!  :-[

For those wondering about the star-nut fix, here you go:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/replacing-internal-star-nuts/msg126406/#msg126406
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:32:47 AM by MartyG »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 03:36:57 AM »
@MartyG @pbe gummi bear  @zavod44
Oh Damn, I was so hoping you were entering this years BBQ Concours d"Kettle..
You know the category for best old man with gas. You woulda been a shoe in. Lol..
Now who we gonna sponsor?
Not some guy with another hose clamp ash bucket mod, or heaven forbid a 26er Ranch Kettle Convsersion?
Maybe Brain  can put some custom 6" wood on something?
I'm personally going after the Casual Hammock Category again.. 5 years running..

No matter what, when you're done, its gonna be a sweet 4 burger burner! Lol.
 8)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 10:22:37 AM »
Progress on the hood today. Bit of sanding first:

Then some paint:

Then some assembly - I found eight new lid bolts and nuts I had squirreled away for some reason:

Lid done!

Now on to the fire box...but first, a look at the burner condition:

Might be another week or so before I get back to this. Thanks for your patience!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:24:35 AM by MartyG »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
Looking good. Burner tubes are in great shape.
You are inspiring to all of us closet gassers..
 8)

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »
That lid is looking good!
SMOKE THIS!!