Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM Rescue/Score...but I have some questions and need some help  (Read 2161 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Today at 4pm, a CL add came up for what was described as a Weber cylinder style grill for $60 (now deleted).  The pics didn't show much other than it was a 18.5 WSM in questionable shape.  I emailed and texted immediately. 

Now with all that said, I had a meeting tonight with students for a trip I am leading to Poland TOMORROW.  I leave at 8am...fly to Chicago, wait around, fly to Munich, wait around, and fly to Krakow and arrive sometime Saturday afternoon in Bielsko-Biala Poland. 

I had the meeting, but hadn't heard anything.  I do my cook on the copper (see other post), and at 8pm, I decide to call the guy and see if he still has it.  He does, and I said I'd be over in a half hour to pick it up.  It is in a QUESTIONABLE area of Las Vegas. 

I scarf down my sirloin and sweet potato and get there around 8:40 in the dark.  From what I can see it is rough.  The guy is ODD...does anyone remember Emo Philips?  I immediately notice that it is missing the access door and water pan.  I point out the door is missing, and he says he's always cooked without the door. 

He also offers to sell me palm branches he's cut to burn in it.

Anyway, I tell him I'm going to have to replace the door and pan, and offer him $40.  He takes it.  AND I HIGH TAIL IT OUT OF THERE.  So I brought it home and cleaned it up.

Here's my question...I am a pretty frugal guy...(which is why I've never gotten a WSM before) any thoughts on replacing these parts?  Any neat mods before I contact the good people at Weber?  I have nothing but time to kill in airports tomorrow and Saturday morning, and I'll be checking in to see what you come up with.  With that said, here's some pics of what it looked like before and where it's at now after cleaning it up in the garage tonight...What a 36 hours in Vegas its been...NOTHING on CL for months and then two nice scores. 

Before Cleaning:

After cleaning:

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: WSM Rescue/Score...but I have some questions and need some help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
Nice score. If you are frugal I'd post a wtb for a second hand door here and at TVWBB. People replace them all the time. You can use anything as a heat deflector. Most people don't even run water in it but you may want something to shield the heat. I think the 18.5" water pan is a smokey joe bowl? You can also get a brinkmann bowl. If you google it you should find some good info
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »
Dude you passed on the palm branches? :o  ;D ;D  Looks to be in pretty good shape, I agree post a WTB ad and see what happens.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »
I dont use the door. You could try using heat/ac duct sheet metal from the local home center. I would make it so it snapped in. How a bout a cheap ss bowl from Walmart.
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 06:32:33 AM »
Best Low Cost Option:
Door: Get a replacement door online or even better get the Cajun Bandit Door & Latch. Its similar price and better quality item.

Bowl: Get the brinkman pan (Its a brinkman charcoal pan but its the diameter of a weber water pan) OR get a 14/14.5" terra cotta saucer at HD or lowes.
These will deflect heat if you are cooking without water. If you want water you can still use brinkman pan.

Some folks don't even use the bowl at all and cook UDS style letting juices hit coal from high above.

Like @pbe gummi bear said The member sales and trades sections of this site and the TVWBB site are a good place to check too.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
Be aware that it was my experience in getting an aftermarket replacement door for my
18.5 DZ is that it was made with 2008 AND 2009 parts, an'08 door didn't fit mine and
had to send it back to get the correct door. Off the top of my head I can't tell what
the differences are between the two, I just know the '08 door I ordered based on the
vent code didn't fit correctly.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 04:32:28 PM »
I use a 14 inch clay pot saucer no water pan.