Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Action packed month for a Newbie  (Read 3437 times)

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
Action packed month for a Newbie
« on: July 16, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Well I had a busy month. Decided I would try my hand at smoking last month and the only thing I had was an old 3 burner Charbroiler gasser. All I cooked were beef ribs and pork ribs in the ole gasser and it was interesting to say the least. I used the old wood chip in aluminum foil pouch method and would foil and throw it in the oven for a couple hours. The ribs came out good but I felt something was missing, so after three cooks in the Charbroil gasser I decided to look for a charcoal smoker. I jumped on Craigslist and started my search and early this month I tracked down a redhead SS Performer. Jumped in the car and went to check it out and when I got there I was amazed at the condition it was in for a 10-12 year old grill. So I worked out a deal for $140 loaded it in the car and I was out. The funny thing was the guy that sold it to me pointed me to this site so the first thing I did when i got home was to jump online and googled WeberKettleClub. After browsing around and learning all the possible mods and whatnot (I have an addictive personality) I decided to order the CB stacker. Hoping the stacker would arrive before the 4th since i had people coming over and wanted to utillize the whole grill grate to cook on, but unfortunately it wouldn't arrive till the following Monday. I still managed without the stacker and the food still came out great. I used the snake fuse method and a rib rack. I was blown away at the flavor and texture of the ribs and so were my guests. Something about cooking over charcoal and burning wood that you can't get with gas or oven. Anyhow, now I was hooked and wanted more, so off to CL again to look for my next toy. This is when i stumbled across a Q320. I called the guy and he wanted $150 I said okay and off I went. Got there and again to my surprise the grill was in mint condition, you gotta love CL there is a lot of good stuff on there if you take the time to look and jump on the opportunity when it comes knocking. I told you I have an addictive personality so that's my second grill in 1 week. I mainly got the gasser to replace my old gasser that has a burned out box with carcks  on it. So now I felt I needed one more weapon in the arsenal to complete it and the only thing on my mind was a WSM. I was imagining I can do ribs on the performer, the sides and veggies on the Q320, and the brisket and butts on the WSM, yummy. So back to CL I go on my search for a WSM. I quickly discovered there are very few WSM on the used market cuz I couldn't find any, at least in my area that is. Until the other day an 18.5 pre-2009 WSM pops up for $100 and as soon as it hits CL I jump on the phone and Im the first to call  I ask if its still available and without even thinking i say Ill take it. We arrange a time to pickup and off I go again. When I get there again for the third time I'm blown away that its practically brand new. The inside is still glossy like it came out the box and the guy said he never used it and it was given to him by a friend who was moving and couldn't take it with him. So I give him the $100 bux and off I go home with the final piece to my arsenal. Now my purchases are complete (at least thats what I told my fiance) but I think i pretty much have everything covered. Now its time for mods!!!!! LOL :) I plan on updating the legs to the newer design and attaching casters to them. Also some handles for the mid section and propbably a CB SS door, but I feel the door seems pretty tight as is on the 18.5. I'm  pretty much done modding the performer. I added the CB stacker and changed to the 20# LP tank from the 5lb added grommets on the stacker and the WSM so Im pretty much cruising. So far all i smoked was fish since I always have a ton of it during the summer, but will be smoking my first butt this Sunday, pics to come soon. But that's my story of my start in this hobby and here are some pics for you guys. Enjoy

Still waiting for my cover for the WSM. You can see the old gasser at the end. its looking for a new home by the way.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 07:09:24 AM by jaycee213 »
Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Action packed month for a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 05:21:20 PM »
  A red SSP for first grab???!!! You are blessed, my friend.  ;)

Welcome and I'm tired just from reading your post!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:56:07 PM »
That is a fine arsenal you have assembled! The fish looks awesome, too!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »
I like your style. Keep up the good work. How'd you get that 20# tank to fit? Last time I tried that I couldn't fit it under there without compressing the bin
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
Oh no,  CL competition.  Welcome aboard.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 09:39:46 PM »
Great setup!  I love those Red Performers.  Congrats!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:59:55 PM »
Good looking setup and congrats on your SSP Redhead!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »
I like your style. Keep up the good work. How'd you get that 20# tank to fit? Last time I tried that I couldn't fit it under there without compressing the bin

gummi, it actually does compress it slightly but not enough to bother me. I would like to use the 5# tank but the quick release fitting I have doesn't fit the nozzle of the pump at the filling station. the threads are just a little smaller preventing the nozzle to thread on. If you know what fitting I need to mate with the quick connect fitting I would appreciate it.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 11:37:24 PM »
Oh no,  CL competition.  Welcome aboard.

Actually your safe for now. Not hunting for anything fora little while.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Thanks guys for the compliments. Now my energy will be focused on cooking on these bad boys.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 12:13:55 AM »

gummi, it actually does compress it slightly but not enough to bother me. I would like to use the 5# tank but the quick release fitting I have doesn't fit the nozzle of the pump at the filling station. the threads are just a little smaller preventing the nozzle to thread on. If you know what fitting I need to mate with the quick connect fitting I would appreciate it.

This is what I use to fill at my local filling station. They actually have one of their own.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Cylinder-Fill/dp/B000DZKUSY

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »

This is what I use to fill at my local filling station. They actually have one of their own.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Cylinder-Fill/dp/B000DZKUSY

Is this fitting an exact match to the pump they use at, say Uhaul to refill. My fitting looks just like it but the thread is like a millimeter to small.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
Yes. That is the fitting I have used at Uhaul. Seems odd it is a mm off. Did they not start it correctly maybe?