Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What is the Best Way to Preheat a Pizza Stone in the Kettle?  (Read 2018 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
So i did my first pizza cook recently using a raised stone on charcoal holders:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/finally-did-pizza/msg175452/#msg175452

It was OK for a first try but i see a ton of room for improvement. My main issues were heat:

1. Not enough fuel to get the temp up high enough and not enough coal  to keep the heat up long enough to do two pies
    This problem will be a simple solution: Use More lit coals to start and use lump instead

2. The Stone wasnt hot enough. Even when my coals died out my second pie should have cooked due to stone heat alone. The fact that it didnt  means my stone wasnt hot enough.

What do you do to preheat the stone to get it hot enough?
I'd prefer not to preheat in the oven inside since running a hot oven during the summer will tax my a/c system

I preheated in my Genesis last time but i dont love running my gasser at such high temps (topped out at well over 550) for a prolonged period and it didnt get the stone as hot as i wanted it anyway.

Do any of you preheat the stone in the kettle?  If so,what charcoal arrangement is best? Indirect or direct?

Should i preheat on the cooking grate or in the raised cooking position? 

Any preheating advice from the Pizza Pros is welcome.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: What is the Best Way to Preheat a Pizza Stone in the Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:03:40 AM »
You might be better off with briquettes instead of lump, depending on how fast your lump burns out. I use a completely full chimney Kingsford Competition for pizza, and I spread it around the outside of the charcoal grate in a C or U shape and I make sure to pack them tight. It pegs my dome therm at 600 and is HOT! If you think more than one chimney is needed, lay 25-50 unlit coals around the C, then pour a full lit chimney on top. This will prolong your cooking time for doing multiple pies.

I've preheated my stone for about 15 minutes but after my last cook @Nate, one of our resident pizza masters, said to let it ride for 30-45 minutes before putting on the pies. Check it out here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/no-kettlepizza-no-problem!/

For getting the dough to stretch out, make sure you let it rest and rise before trying to stretch it out. If it's still too elastic just let it hang out on the counter in a covered bowl for a while longer. Let us know how the next pie turns out!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
I have a KettlePizza adaptor, so that is all I can use for reference to cooking pizza on a kettle.

I prefer to use lump, plus 5-6 chunks of hardwood (usually sugar maple).

I like to preheat my pizza stone, which is a kiln shelf, right over the charcoal in the back of the kettle.
I then will rotate it 180° a few times during the heat-up stage.  It then gets pulled to the front before adding pizza. 
The KP can get up to 800° + ….  Gotta keep an eye on it very close when it's that hot.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 02:24:06 AM »
lighter fluid...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
lighter fluid...

@Metal Mike

Put that in GREEN  so somebody new doesn't go ahead with that plan..... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »
@1buckie
Ha good call,
we never want to deliberate wet pizza stones (NO soap, oil or LF)

Personally I rely to elevate it slight above cooking grate w/ spare stove burner grate (on coal grate pictured)

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP