Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Indirect heat 250, how?  (Read 3615 times)

choynes

• Smokey Joe
Indirect heat 250, how?
« on: July 12, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
Ok, I have the two baskets, filled them mostly, and for ribs STILL get over 400 degrees! I want to slow cook the ribs at 250. Anyone figure out how many briquettes per basket for 250? 

CPO, USCG (ret)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Indirect heat 250, how?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:17:19 PM »
This may help.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/one-rib-method/msg13609/#msg13609

Personally, for a low heat, I would ditch the baskets.............

Baskets are 'usually' for concentrating higher heat for grilling, as far as I can tell from using them some.....small banked area like the link, a larger banked area of UN-lit with a small amount of lit placed on top (the Jim Minion Method, usually for Smokey Mtn. cookers, but works on Kettles)

Here's some other input.....with a few setup photos.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/dome-temp-vs-grate-temp-for-smoking/msg103634/#msg103634
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Are you familiar with using a snake?

Light one end with around 12 lit coals. Then use the vents to control temp. Don't close the top vent more than 50%. It's needed for exhaust.
Still need a 22” yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
.....or, like the Dude, then just rotate the ribs, grate & all several times during the cook so they stay away from the burn area of the coals.....

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 04:12:34 PM »
Hey @choynes, welcome to the club!
When I do ribs in the kettle with I go with one basket and the side burn method. Basically, fill the basket up with charcoal and leave a one corner open, fill that one corner with lit coals, and adjust the bottom vents to almost closed when you get to the temp you want. Should get a good 5-6 hours out of it.
Here are some links to other posts where I go into more detail. Don't forget to post pics of your experiments!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/using-charcoal-baskets-for-mini-minion-method/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/rib-lunch/msg146844/#msg146844

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »

Light one end with around 12 lit coals. Then use the vents to control temp. Don't close the top vent more than 50%. It's needed for exhaust.

My personal preference is the snake method but these others work just as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 05:55:10 PM »
Hey @choynes, welcome to the club!
When I do ribs in the kettle with I go with one basket and the side burn method. Basically, fill the basket up with charcoal and leave a one corner open, fill that one corner with lit coals, and adjust the bottom vents to almost closed when you get to the temp you want. Should get a good 5-6 hours out of it.
Here are some links to other posts where I go into more detail. Don't forget to post pics of your experiments!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/using-charcoal-baskets-for-mini-minion-method/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/rib-lunch/msg146844/#msg146844

There you go if you'd still like to use the baskets......there's so many different ways folks go about things here that you can always find the right method just by asking !!!!

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
I used to use one basket like @choynes but now I prefer to use the Minion method. Whatever works best for you! Good luck on your next cookup.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 07:44:51 PM »
I use the "fuse/snake" method as well as another tool but we'll save that for another time, just focus on and learn
to use the methods buckie linked you too and that TheDude showed so well and you will be cranking out some
truly great ribs in no time flat.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »

Wow that looks like a master piece.  Don't get much neater than this.  I bet you get 8 to 12 hours from that setup.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
I use one basket for ribs.  I use the Minion method …. basket is loaded down with un-lit lump, then dump maybe 10 lit briquets on top.
About 2 pieces of smoke wood is buried in the lump, and 2-3 pieces go on for the pre-heat stage - usually 20-30 minutes, then ribs go on indirect.
I use my 3-wheeler for ribs, and run with only one vent fully open, and two vents closed

Starts out hot, say 325-350°, then settles down into the 250-275° range. 

I tend to have to add a small amount of un-lit lump after about 3 hours or so.

It's now my go-to method for ribs.  @MrHoss witnessed this method, and I don't believe he was disappointed.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 08:16:07 AM »

Wow that looks like a master piece.  Don't get much neater than this.  I bet you get 8 to 12 hours from that setup.

It went for 6 and had over 1/2 left.
Still need a 22” yellow

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
I'm going to 3rd or is 4th/5th the fuse/snake method.  How open/closed your vents will be definitely depend on the weather where you're at, but overall it works really well for keeping low temps.  Though I also use a drip pan filled with steaming hot water, the water helps to regulate the temperature by absorbing vast amounts of thermal energy.  Keeping things in the 225 - 250 range.

one of my usual set ups.

One of my snakes before adding the water pan or lighting.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
It sounds like you are starting with all fully lit coals. A snake or a minion/burn down will leave you with only a small amount of fuel burning at a time, and that continues to ignite the unlit fuel next to it.

No matter how much you shut down the airflow you will have a hard time getting your temps down if you start with too much fuel. Also, make sure to keep the lid closed. Every time you open it the fire gets more air, and that can lead to temp spikes.

choynes

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Thanks for the info, and sorry for the delay. I definitely will use the snake or minion method next!

CPO, USCG (ret)