Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Does anyone use a temp controller/blower for steak?  (Read 3641 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
Does anyone use a temp controller/blower for steak?
« on: June 16, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
I'm looking to pickup temp controller/blower, such as the BBQ Guru Cyber Q Wifi or a Stoker Wifi for my Weber 22.5" Performer.  I understand that these mostly help with low temp cooks like pork and brisket, or something in the medium range like chicken, but I was wondering if it could also be used for steak?

The reason I ask is because the temperature probes on units like this tend to max out around 475 degrees.  I've heard hotter is better with steaks, but lets say I wanted to keep within a safe range and set the temp controller to 450 degrees.  Is that hot enough to make a good steak?  I've overcooked steaks in the past, and I was wondering if using a controller like this would make it a little more foolproof.

Here's what I was thinking...set the controller for 450 degrees...wait until the kettle comes up to temperature.  Once the probe measures 450 at the grates, pop the steaks on, flip them about 3 minutes later, stick in a food probe, and pull the steaks off when the food probe reads 125 degrees.  Assuming a little carryover heat, I think that should yield a steak that's about medium rare in the middle.

I also have a set of "GrillGrates" that I can use, which may help the equation by ensuring an even heat and good grill marks.

Does that sound like a plan that would work? 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Does anyone use a temp controller/blower for steak?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
You could use it for that, but by the time it settles into what it does, your steak would be done.....applying a food probe would maybe lose so much heat in just that small amount of time as to make it not quite worthwhile (speculation on my part, could be dead wrong!!)

The controller type things are likely better for the first items you listed, so get it for that.....steaks are like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.....too quick to even really catch sight of..... :o 8)

Just some thoughts, but again, I could be dead wrong!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
I thought more about this as I was travelling thru the threads here & please don't take too much stock in what I've said, as I'm not too good at high heat stuff......it may work just fine stabilizing the heat like that with GrillGrates & then plopping the steaks on for a ride........in a way it may make some sense out of what's usually a willy-nilly grilling project for me !!!!!

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »
The problem is as soon as you stablize the heat, you're taking the lid off to put the steaks on. If you're going to do high heat steaks, I'm not sure stabilizing the temp is needed.

You might want to look into the reverse sear cooking method. My way is to cook the steak indirect (I like the grill level temp 325-350) until it comes up to an internal temp of about 10-20 degrees (will vary depending upon coal temp) below what you want it cooked to. Take the lid off, stoke the coals to get them a bit hotter, then sear the steak about 20-30 seconds on each side.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
It seems that for steaks a temp. monitor may serve you well.  Maverick is popular.  I use iGrill and like it.  these will beep at any temp you set, to alert you to food being done or nearly done.

I do have a Stoker, but use it on clay smoker.  It works great for overnight and unattended long cooks.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
I agree with 1Buckie's sentiments above. A steak cooks so fast that an atc won't help you, esp with an open lid kettle. How do you cook your steaks? If you do a reverse sear on the thick steak your $ would be better spent on a meat therm to determine when the center of the steak is how you want it
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:54:22 PM »
Hey ed3120, All these guys are on the right track with this method IMHO, but you must take into consideration the thickness of the cuts you will be cooking.
Personally I do the reverse sear method on almost all cuts whether they be cow or pig that is NOT a roast.
I get the coals going, banked on one side, and let them settle in @ 300~350 range and drop a small chunk of smoke wood on them
for a little something extra, then I cook to temp, 90~100 for rare, 105 for med rare, 110~115 for med /med well. before flipping
them over the coals for about 2 minutes per side to sear and check with a Weber instant read thermometer. You don't want to
be poking a bunch of holes in the meat unless you like dry meat, so limit the number of time you temp check. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:55:58 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 03:17:34 AM »
As stated above:
ATC is overkill for a steak or any other short cook IMO.

I am still a "good Steak" newbie but i recently did a reverse sear using a maverick probe thermo that was super easy:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/why-did-i-wait-so-long-to-do-this-(reverse-sear-using-a-maverick)/msg169056/#msg169056

You can do the same with an instant read thermo, but cooking with probe thermo allows you to cook with the cover on during indirect time.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 04:11:11 AM »
Personally I do the reverse sear method on almost all cuts whether they be cow or pig that is NOT a roast.
I get the coals going, banked on one side, and let them settle in @ 300~350 range and drop a small chunk of smoke wood on them

I like this reverse seat plan.

So when you do a 2 zone for this, the hot zone that you sear over is around 350? Based on that, I could set the grill probe to 350 on the hot side, and drop the steaks on the indirect side until the food probe says 105, then move them over to the hot side.

You can get a good sear when the grates are 350, right?

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:13:20 AM »
Maybe if you can rig the blower to gentle "ON" not for control rather just the constant addition of fresh air & heat (=flares tho)
Otherwise I'll just concur w/ previous statements.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
Maybe if you can rig the blower to gentle "ON" not for control rather just the constant addition of fresh air & heat (=flares tho)
Otherwise I'll just concur w/ previous statements.

My IQ110 does have a "max blow" function which is esentially an always on which could in theory bump temp but i also know that the 110 also has a "lid off" function where it kills the blower when the probe detects a major temp swing indicating that the lid just came off the cooker. im not sure if "max blow" cancels out the "lid off".
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
I like this reverse seat plan.

So when you do a 2 zone for this, the hot zone that you sear over is around 350? Based on that, I could set the grill probe to 350 on the hot side, and drop the steaks on the indirect side until the food probe says 105, then move them over to the hot side.

I don't use my Maverick for tracking kettle temps when cooking steaks or chops it's been my experience that in my kettles,
a 2 zone set up will settle in between 300~350 when using a full chimney of KBB and we like our steaks in the rare category
so I have figured if a cut is 3/4 inch or so then I can let it cook indirect for about 10~12 minutes if the cuts a thicker, an inch
or more then I add 2 minutes. For us, I start checking temps at the 10 minute mark and usually move them to the high heat
side to finish. Remember you will have carry over heat one you pull the meat off the grill and don't let them rest, get the
meat on a plate and ready to eat asap. All this is open to you refining the process to meet your style and needs.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »
I'll kinda stick with the original; thing I said, BUT........it may be possible to fine tune something like this.......

Remember, this is coming from someone who gets nervous at 350+....... :o

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 02:08:53 PM »
super hot griller here (i grill very hot, but i'm not very hot)

don't overthink things. You don't need a raging fire to grill steak.
Do the "ninja" test. Hold your hand an inch above the grates. If you can hold your hand there for 1 second or less, it's freaking hot.
2 seconds, pretty hot
3 seconds, just hot. Hot enough to sear
4 not very hot, but you can still sear - it just takes longer
5 seconds, not hot

When you're in the 1 or less hot zone, the radiant heat from the coals will likely be more than the temp of the grates. You get a great sear and crust, but you're not going to get great grill marks (if you care)
2 is really the sweet spot. radiant heat has gone down, the grates are hot, you get a nice caramelization

For good marks, make sure your grates or your meat is lightly oiled. LIGHTLY, not dripping.

------
want super hot fire?
pour your chimney when the top coals are just starting to get some ash.

Want hotter, longer?
Spread your coals a bit, add a fresh layer of unlit on top. Leave the lid open for 8-10 minutes.

Want thermo nuclear? Do the same, stoke the coals with a blow dryer or an air pump. Be careful though. This will get your kettle 1200+ and things get funky. Charcoal grate will sag, cooking grate will lose its seasoning (and sometimes its outer metallic coating) Porcelain may chip where the welds are. Baby jesus cries and does not recommend getting your grill this hot.

--------
reverse sear:
- produces a great cook. nice and even throughout.
- timing can be tricky. it takes some practice to pull at the right temp and get the right sear without going over.
- you get less grilled flavor because the meats natural juices aren't producing smoke until the sear stage. this can be circumvented by trimming off some of the beef fat and throwing into the coals once the steaks are cooking indirectly. I prefer to foil the fat and set it on grates, but it can be tricky to make it work right. Toss half an onion on the coals as well and your steaks will get a magical flavor.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 03:36:49 PM »

I get a decent sear when the indirect kettle temp runs at 350, but I do like to stoke it  bit to get the coals a bit hotter when its that time in the cook..

One thing, don't put the temp probe over your coals. You won't get an accurate temp for the indirect area. Set your kettle probe near where you'll be cooking.

I was doing ribs at ~250 one time with a snake. it was going well for a couple hours and then I glanced at the thermometer and saw a reading over 500. Wondering what had caught fire I went to the kettle to find the coals were burning right under the probe, giving the false reading.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.