Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $10 Avocado Score  (Read 4306 times)

tb6844

• Smokey Joe
$10 Avocado Score
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »
Picked this up on Saturday.  It's an 18" patent pending Avocado.  I'm assuming from 1969 or 1970, right?  In really nice shape.  The lid is nearly flawless, besides the handle.  The bowl has a few rust spots, primarily right where the grate holders are welded on the inside.  The bottom vents were seized up, but after soaking with penetrating fluid overnight they loosened up nicely.  I anticipated I'd probably have to drill out the rivets, so that was a nice surprise. 

So, in your opinion is it worth trying to clean up the rust spots on the outside?  My thought was to tape around them, hit them with a wire brush dremel attachment and then paint black with high temperature paint...just to prevent any further rusting.  Any thoughts? 

I was pretty excited to get this for $10.  The guy had it listed on craigslist just as a "charcoal grill" for sale...didn't mention it was a Weber anywhere.  That's probably the only reason it lasted long enough for me to grab it. 

I'll post a few pics after I clean it up/restore it.  I've got a big honey-do list this summer, but hopefully it'll be soon. 

SixZeroFour

Re: $10 Avocado Score
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »
Oh man that is a score and a half!!! Congrats on finding a really cool grill! 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
Soak the wheels in evaporust for 3 hours and those whitewalls will come right back to life. ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:28:08 PM »
Wow, that looks to be a nice one!  It doesn't appear to have any crazing on the bowl.  Great score!

So, in your opinion is it worth trying to clean up the rust spots on the outside?  My thought was to tape around them, hit them with a wire brush dremel attachment and then paint black with high temperature paint...just to prevent any further rusting.  Any thoughts?

I personally would NOT paint those spots. 
Give them a good scrub with some 0000 steel wool, then apply some vegetable oil to prevent further rusting.

Those spots tell a story of its gloried past. 

However, it's your kettle now, so you can ultimately decide. Enjoy!

EDIT:  @glrasmussen showed me this stuff for the wheels.

This was less than a minute each wheel. Toothbrush and rinse.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:30:25 PM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 01:28:40 PM »
Wow. Gorgeous. Never done the repaint thing but from what I understand applying it to the bowl...where the heat is probably the highest....is asking for it to turn black when you toss charcoal in it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 01:32:01 PM »
Wow. Gorgeous. Never done the repaint thing but from what I understand applying it to the bowl...where the heat is probably the highest....is asking for it to turn black when you toss charcoal in it.

Yes, you saw what happened to my 18" redhead on the bowl.  Won't be doing that again.  :-\ :-\
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »
Ding Ding Ding!!!! Bingo!!! Yahtzee!!! And the survey says.......yes deal of the week!!!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
That is one hell of a score. I personally agree with @maceggs. Hit it with steel wool and a little veggie oil and leave it alone. I like to keep the or restore them close to original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
Wow, that's a nice find.   Its gonna clean up great!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
Yes, that is a grate pickup !!!!

Not a whole heckuva lot of those around & it's in pretty darn nice shape.....the heat blow outs happen a lot wth color ones (maybe because it's color applied as a 2nd coat over black & sort of thick?), but man, everything else is really nice !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 02:43:55 PM »
My 18 sits untouched , it's a personal choice I restore some leave others alone as found ,neither way it's a spectacular little grill congrats !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »
Killer score!!! 8) 8)

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »
Really nice. Don't see many avocado 18s. Get some zavs on it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 04:19:22 PM »
Great score! I like to use bacon grease on rust spots

tb6844

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I think I'll go after the rust spots with the steel wool and oil as @MacEggs suggested.  I'm pretty leery of going after her with bbq paint.  I will definitely also check out that Rust Stain Remover.  I think I've seen that stuff at Menards before, so I can probably pick it up locally.  I'm looking forward to cleaning it up.